switching from ATI to nVidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

r1c3_808

In Runtime
I already posted a topic on how to switch video cards, but i'm still not sure on how to do it.

First i need to uninstall my old driver right??....
The only way that i understand how to uninstall it is to go to the device manager and uninstall it from there.

ok i have windows xp and im switching from an ATI 9250 to a eVGA 6600GT.

i went to the device manager and under "DISPLAY ADAPTERS", there is "RADEON 9250" and "RADEON 9250 - Secondary" .
which one do i uninstall?

most likely both since you wont have that card anymore.

but if it where me, I would put the eVGA card in, install its drivers, then remove the ati drivers.

but if it where me, I would put the eVGA card in, install its drivers, then remove the ati drivers.
That method would definitely give you problems. ATI and Nvidia hate each other and going from one card to another can be absolute hell. You need to do what koldapu says, and better yet go into safemode use that program and complete remove them. Then go back and install your nvidia drivers like normal.

Personally I'd do a format, but I format pretty often :p

no I have not done it that way b4 but it makes sence to do it that way (unless you do something else like, get "driver cleaner").

whenever I am doing a hardware swap, it is easier for me to format and re-install windows. that way I know that everything will work perfectly the first time.

It's a lot faster to re-install windows then it is to find 'fix-it 'programs.

~just my opinion.

edit-
yeah, what "VIII" said.

but it makes sence to do it that way
It really doesn't make sense to install a completely different companies drivers over drivers that are already on there. That will just cause problems. First and fore most you have to get the previous off, unless of course you're going from nvidia to nvidia

I dont know what reformat means, and reinstalling windows seems complicating so im gonna get driver cleaner and read the instructions.

Keep in mind i got into computer stuff about 2 weeks ago... lol

well you gotta format your drive to reinstall windows. Format = wiping the HD clean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom