What's your biggest computer disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a close call last night.

I have a computer set up to be a server for my lilÂ’ network.

Last night I turned it on to install windows. Everything was going fine. At the part where you partition the HD the comp froze. I was not sure if it actually froze or the keyboard came loose. I reached behind the comp to snug in the cord. What I felt was a hole, my fingers where going in the box and touching an undocked mother board.

I did a hard shutdown and managed to unplug everything (while the mother board was wiggling around). I opened the box to find that all of the plastic pins (or whatever they are called) where all bend and broken.

I was pissed. MSI was going to owe me a new computer for allowing cheap pins to be distributed with their m/bÂ’s.

hoping for the best, I re-docked the m/b with real pins and screws. I plugged the comp in and turned it on. And...

It worked. I was lucky, that could have been bad, real bad.

Look at the broken and bent pins.

In the second picture I drew a line showing where the mother board should be and where I found it when I opened the case.

jeeze, pretty lucky huh?

Attachments

• broken.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 69
now i think of it i seem to be more accident prone with other peoples computers..
at my birthday, there was like 5 ppl in my bedroom, which is like 4metres by 4...with a double bed n a huge wardrobe thing... all with computers.. dont ask me how i did it....
but yeah firstly i knocked my friends coke on his computer accidently.. luckily there was no fizz fizz bang... then later that nite we made like a mega pot of coffee n again i spilt coffe on his case... luckily nothing broke but he did have a sticky case after that..

and with another friend who comes up regularly i was settin up his case n knocked it off the table.. again nothing broke... phew..

biggest disaster was adding some more ram into my p-pro server. I tried booting it up, and it wouldn't recognize the keyboard. I couldn't find a p-pro motherboard, so it was a loss of a processor, mb, and 180+ mb of simm ram. Right after that I started using a static braclet. The ram was a loss because dimms had come out and a motherboard using simms was alot harder to find.

These stories are priceless........Thank God i have nothing to add. :)
Oh by the way, jseber please tell me thats not your cat, if it is i'm calling the SPCA.....LOL

2nd worst disaster was me drunk and attempting case mods.... computer worked and all, but man it was ugly, definitly not something you could take to a lan party

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom