Is it just me or 6800 Ultra sucks #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
when you say Maxed out what settings?

Ultra setting, 1600x1200 resolution, 8xAA, 8xAF because that'll tax even the most powerful cards on the market currently.

People seem to forget that Doom3 was a showcase for insane graphics. When you start getting up to those ridiculously high settings even todays current cards will lag to some degree, because the developers specifically made it incredibly taxing on the GPU and CPU

by default the doom 3 benchmark is not capped cuz sometimes u can get 200fps. The game itself is capped.

And yes when i said maxed out it was

Ultra high
16Xaf
8Xaa
1600x1200
or whatever the highest settings are.

I got nTune form nvidia.com and when i benchmarked the card it said its running below baseline. Mines is 53 and baseline is 56. Which is kind of wierd because my card (BFG 6800 Utra OC) is overclocked out of the box. So i think I should be getting results a little above baseline.

Oh one more thing: What is AGP apature size It was set to 64 mb so i set it to 256mb.

Man, you don't have a problem. I get less than that on 2xAA, 1024x768, high settings. :(

You are so lucky man, if you don't like the card, I would LOVE to take it!

Dude don't look too much into BFG's overclock. It is a really weak OC in which you don't even notice any performance gain. It's all a marketing scheme. It's like 20MHz on the core and that's it. That will give you like A point in 3dmark if that.

Ultra high
16Xaf
8Xaa
1600x1200
Yeah all that is ridiculous. SLI would be able to handle it of course, but yeah the 6800Ultra as powerful as it is, can't handle that extreme crap. Like I said Doom3 was made ridiculously intense and full of eye candy. It's not sucking or going slow, it's right on par with what it should be. This is the 2nd time someones posted complaining about it slow, but for god sakes man, take 5 mins to realize what kind of graphics you're trying to pump out of these things.

We're talking the biggest graphical processing leap in years and people aren't satisfied with it......that's just ridiculous.

AGP Aperture is the amount of system RAM that will be used when your Vram is used up. In your cases I doubt it'll make a huge improvement but it might.

If you read up on Doom3 from way back when, they specifically state that Ultra mode was meant for 512mb cards because at the time they were supposed to have been coming out real soon.

With that in mind and using Ultra mode with max res, and full af and aa you can see why it's going 'slow' which is still faster than most peoples here.

Problem solved..theres nothing wrong with the card, it's your expectations thats killing your perception of it.

also, your CPU (Athlon XP 3000+) is not as powerful as it could be. it is bottlenecking the system a bit (and I mean "a bit")
it is a little limiting for Doom 3 and HL2, but the results are still pretty good nonetheless

Yeah i was supprised how well it ran in doom3 because the Benchmark was going faster than it would in the game.
The game itself lags a bit, but its playable

The thing that still i dont get is why it performs so bad in source.
when its set 1200x1000 aa8x af16x all the rest on highest i get like 30 fps.

And it doen't feel like a leap from 9800 pro. I ran same settings except aa and af lower and i would get more fps. With the Pro the fps wouldn't jump up and down it would stay in 40-70 fps range. While with ultra it goes from 15-210 fps.

ok well i said that about the GT nubius. And it ran ok but still lagged on everythin high. And we should have the availibilty to expect it to run smooth cause if we have th ebest system it should be able to run the max its capable of.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom