Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn316

Beta member
I was thinking about upgrading to windows xp from my windows 98se. I would like to hear some honest opinions on xp itself, so if any1 got xp and if u liked it or thought it was shit, reply and let me know. Also,does XP have better support of USB devices?

thanks

agree with microbell.

Older games can be a can be a pain.

XP looks great and makes winxx look sooo out of date.

Good luck

My favorite is Win2k. XP is a nice upgrade, but it still had issues. I personally run 4 Desktops with Win2k and had never had a BSOD on any of them. I have tried to get it to fail, and aside from destroying the registry, have not been able too.
With XP, I was able to get it to bail on a simple driver change. Seemed kind of strange, cause PnP was supposed to be better. After taking an MS training course for XP (2272B) I still think it is pretty weak.
Something else that I did recently was to build a new box. I had some stuff in another system and thought I would just move it over. Pre transfer this is what was in box 1:
P4 2.4 GHZ
MSI 845E MAX
1 GB DDR memory
Maxtor 30GB 7200 RPM
PNY Verto 4600 128Mb AGP4x
3com 10/100 Nic
SoundBlaster Audigy Gamer
I took the HDD and the nic over to the new system. I wanted the HDD intact and thought I would see how it worked. New system is as follows:
P4 2.8HT
GA-8KNXP with 875P chipset
1GB PC3200 DDR400 ram
maxtor 30GB 7200 HDD (from old system)
4x Seagate 80Gb 7200 HDD RAID 1
3com nic (old system)
Radeon 9800 Pro 256 AGP 8x
2 optical drives.
Now the part that is important, is that when I booted the system, I was using the same system drive from the old system running win2k. The system booted normally except in VGA mode. Needed to install drivers for the Motherboard's onboard stuff and then the system worked like a dream. That is something that XP cannot ever do. cause you have to reregister to get it working. Although XP looks nice and seems to work on many occasions, there are places that it will never work as well as Win2k does.
Good luck in your quest...

I like Windows XP, there are quirks in the other OSs that turn me off, but XP Pro does it for me!

I would go out and get XP Pro if I were you, but then again, I dont know your system specs, so it could run bummy on your system.

If you are planning on upgrading to XP make sure you have at least 256 megs of ram. If you like games then I'd recommend 512 megs.

Otherwise XP has so many better options over WIn98/ME, as well as better support. Microsoft has long been saying they are ending support for Win98/ME.

I agree on a couple of the posts above,,,

first off,, I ran win2k pro,,probably from the second day it came out until XP was released,, and win2k pro has many favorable options and abilities,, however, there were some drawbacks with drivers specific to NT format,,

with the move to XP,, my first XP box was an old Dell PII 400.. that sucker ran so well and so stable( over 65 days without a reboot),, that I was soooo impressed with XP pro,, I went out and bought an upscale machine to really use the OS to full adavantage,,

I would have to go with XP pro at this time,, good , fast , stable, reliable,, however,, it DOES REQUIRE simple maintenance,, and that is where some of the win9x features are a pain in XP,, cleaning up system restore points, regular defragging, disk cleanup,, are MUSTS,, not just something you do, as in win98...

plus,, i have always had luck with the compatibility mode in XP,, even gaming,, (eventually worked well),, so i would say that it all depends on the game architecture too,, not just the OS,, but the combination,,

Go XP,, with min 512 mb of ram (GOOD RAM),, and you will have a positive experience,,

cheers,,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom