Component selection advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dale5605

Daemon Poster
From another thread I decided on getting an MSI 6600GT PCI-express

need to get a power supply, mobo, and processor
already have 1gb corsair pc3200 ram

So I need some advice on a good combination of these devices, oh and have them be compatible with each other if possible :D

For the power supply I would prefer Antec and at least 350 watt
For the mobo it needs to be PCI-express
For the processor it needs to be a good one but on the lower side preferably with good overclockability

suggested cost of all this is around $300-$350

:confused: :confused: :confused:

you don't have to give me links and go through all the trouble if you don't want, just a quick list of what combo you like best :)

:p

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm

ABIT AX8 (K8T890) or ABIT AN8 (nForce4)

Antec TruePower 600w (minimum 22a on +12v rail)

lol yeah, only the SLI boards with insane hardware really need the 600w, but I'd suggest you look into 400w+ because it won't be long around the corner in the future before you start needing quite a bit of power. He is right about one thing, you want atleast a rail of 22a if you can get it.

Thermaltake has some good PSUs, I have a 560w with 22a on the +12v rail, I've had 13 fans, 4 HD's, 2 opticals, overclocking, and it's never dropped below 11.9 on that rail.

That PSU was $100 when I bought it a few months ago, may be cheaper now. They also have the 480w 'butterfly' PSUs that I believe should have good power

Other than that I'd say frontside named some good stuff:

AMD Athlon 64 3000+ 90nm

ABIT AX8 (K8T890) or ABIT AN8 (nForce4)

That is indeed a good choice. 3000-3200+ 90nm if you can get that 3200+ for OC'ing reasons

Also DFI Lanparty series has some good boards also great for OC'ing

Nubius said:
and it's never dropped below 11.9 on that rail.
Wow... Talk about accuracy! ;)

Nubius said:
if you can get that 3200+ for OC'ing reasons
The 10x multiplier does help in drastic overclocking.

Nubius said:
lol yeah, only the SLI boards with insane hardware really need the 600w, but I'd suggest you look into 400w+
I wouldn't recommend anything under 480w. 6x00 series are power hungry!

I wouldn't recommend anything under 480-500w. 6x00 series are power hungry!
Yeah they are, but the thermaltake PSU's (or so I've noticed anyway) have some nice strong rails and not a ridiculous amount of wattage. Like I said mines 560w so I think this thing will be good for quite some time, but yeah, it's becoming to the point where 600w PSU's are starting to fall into the norm.

I saw a post in 'Xtremesystems.org' where a guy had a insane SLI setup, water cooling of course, and a freakin 700w PSU....but yeah I can't see spending more on the PSU than a good portion of my other components lol.

I'm a little scared now, like I said the budget is in the $300 range, I can't be spending $250 on some monster power supply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom