XP Crashes game

Status
Not open for further replies.

clem556

Baseband Member
Brief History:-

My PC worked fine. I buy a new game, Rally Sport Challenge.
It plays then crashes. I figure I need a Sound Blaster card.
I Bought one, Installed it and hey presto.. Problem fixed.

Days later I went to play Favourite my game (empire Earth), this plays for a while then crashes, either to desk top or to a system reboot.

Various people suggest that it is a driver issue.
So I down load the latest drivers installed them. Still no good. I try using XP's Compatability mode, still no good, I also tried formatting pc no good.

I rang the tech support line. After some suggestions (drivers etc) they gave up as the game is not listed as XP compatable on the box.

To my mind it had worked, so it should work. any ideas. This is very frustrating.

Latest attempt resulted in a memory error, some thing like tried writing to oxobf67400 and failed?

Things seem to be going from bad to worse.:eek:

Attachments

• 3.gif
    47.5 KB · Views: 28
no,

will try it and let you know.
It will be a whlie as I work friday to Sunday.

Thanks

I have tried the latest drivers for my graphics card and sound blaster.
Still no good.
I tried removing SB hardware and software.
I don't know what to do about 4in1 via's?
I will probably panic and buy a new graphics card as suggested by Stealle.
Could it be my card does not support direct draw 9?
how do I get back to an earlier version of direct draw?
I have 8.1 with the game (empire earth).

Thanks for the pm.

I will try another graphics card first as its easier than a OS reinstall. I may just have to get used to the idea that I can't play Empire earth on the pc. I still have it working on the laptop.
Thanks for helping.

tried a new graphics card. Same result.
reformatted with sound card and modem removed.
This worked for a while longer (45mins) then crashed.
maybe a heat thing.

no i don't think its a compatability problem with XP. i would suspect it is a hardware compatabiliy with his old motherboard. clem i bet your notebook is much newer than your desktop hardware which is why the game works on it?

My guess is either overheating OR you have the sound acceletaion turned up to high in DirectX (type 'DXdiag' into Run go to the Sound tab and lower the acceleration) making the video/sound go out of synch and screwing up the cpu/memory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom