Uninstallable Exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Troutman

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm stuck with an anoying program? NU.exe which I cannot uninstall claims to be linked to another program or user. So where did I get it, well I'm 99.9% sure it was at Norwich Unoin web site getting a quote for car insurance. Pop-up window appeared with the quote details and two buttons one to print one to save. Tried to print and nothing happened. So thought I would save the web page so went to "File" save web page as and saved it but it saved as NU.exe (Norwich Union) . Didn't think too much about it until I tried to delete it it refuses to go. Looking at properties, program, advanced gives "%SystemRoot%\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT
Any advice on how to delete it, tried to move it and delete and finished up with it on my other hard drive as well D'oh.:mad:

try going to msconfig and desable all startup items except your antivirus, reboot, then try to delete it..

used msconfig to disable all but my avg free antivirus and zone alarm, but still refuses to be deleted!

Can you rename it? If so, rename it to anything, try to delete it, if it stil wont delete, reboot then try...run your spyware programs as well.

well now getting to where I left off in frustration, have tried renaming, no go. Run all my spyware software does not pick it up, avg ignores it, nothing in add remove hardware to delete. I think it is asociated with explorer or firefox which I was using when it arrived.

Yeah that's a backdoor

Boot into safe mode (f6 or f8) and delete it from their if possible

First been into safe mode no can delete, been looking at other posts and have been reminded that when I saved the web page it opened a error report that I was trying to run 16 bit software with the options (I think) ignore or close I went for close.

Norwich Unoin page where I started below

http://www.norwichunion.com/car-insurance/index.htm

then have to agree and carry on with description of vehicle etc then click for quote it was once I had the quote that I tried to save but screwed up!

You tried to save the page that pops up?

Ok, I hit quote and another windows poped up..is that what you did?

I saved the webpage, when I tried to open it, it wouldn't load all the way, so I tried to close it and it would. I went to taskmanager, delete the process and it was fine, then I delete the folder and page that I saved, and it deleted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom