Windows 2000 video card problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

filthymonkey

Beta member
Windows 2000 is locking up on the startup screen when using a (simple) video card.

I'm using a PIII 700MHz with 256MB RAM and a MS-6178 motherboard with Award BIOS. I was using a Matrox Mystique PCI card (i think 4MB on-card memory) and things were fine using the windows-supplied video driver for this particular card.

I made the mistake of fiddling and went to the Matrox site and downloaded what i thought was the latest driver for this obsolete card.. As soon as i re-booted it would just freeze on the startup screen. Using the on-board Intel 810E chipset for the display is fine, the computer boots normally but is noticebly slower with intensive graphical use.

As this was a win2000 pro update install over a win98 previous OS, i formatted a hard drive, did a fresh clean install of win2000 Pro and turned on the computer expecting it to boot after detecting the card. But the same action is repeated, it just locks up at the startup screen. I plugged in a S3 Trio video card that was lying around and the exact same behaviour is repeated.

I plugged in two monitors, one to the S3 and one to the onboard and set the BIOS to detect PCI slot first. The computer locked up on that monitor, but then the onboard graphics adaptor kicked into action and windows continued booting up and automatically detected the S3 card and installed the drivers. I rebooted with just the video card and it still just locks up. Device manager says the video card is working fine and the drivers are all there....

I'm at a loss, i'm not sure what the downloaded Matrox update did but i am afraid that i won't be able to use any video card at all now. I tried different PCI slots, no joy...

Can anyone help me with this...?

Cheers

boot in safe mode and uninstall all video drivers you have installed, then try from there.

Thanks for your reply, but please read my description again.

This is a completely clean install of Windows 2000 with no third party video drivers loaded by me. When i was originally in this position when i first got this old PIII up and running, and first put the card in, windows detected it and installed it automatically from it's generic driver set.

I guess that it is a problem with the BIOS or something, cos 2 different video cards that i have experience the same thing....

I just don't want to buy a better video card (like i was planning to) and find that it is still getting rejected....

Any other ideas while i'm tinkering...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom