Hard drive assistance. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

volume

Beta member
Welllllllllll,
Recently, my 80gb western digital decided to die on me.

One day, I switch it on, and to my surprise I see both hard drives being ignored on bootup, so I say "WTF?", after some cable swapping and jumper adjusting, it begins to work. Yay. The next morning, same problem, although this time it doesn't work after some cable swapping.

I had given up, assumed it was dead and begun planning to get a 200GB. Yesterday I fiddled with it again, and guess what? She worked.
Worked for a full 8 hours, no interuptions AT ALL (both hard drives + 2 cd drives). Now today, TROUBLE AGAIN.

When the 80GB is plugged in with my 120GB Maxtor, the whole system dies and I must reset it with the PSU switch. With either one of the hard drives unplugged, they work on their own fine (except the 80, I get "error loading operating system" or "a disk read error occurred", I don't think it can be a data problem, because it was working fine yesterday >_>). Perhaps my PSU could be damaged? Although I had a 20gb + 120 and they were doing well together. (standard p4 300W I believe)

I removed my CD drives to spread the power load out, but it still dies.

And yeah, you can see my trouble. No pc really, and no money to buy a new hard drive.

Help, Please help.

When they do boot up use an utility li ke everest home to check the S.M.A.R.T. condotion of the hard drives.

Well, the bios says at start up that it's disabled on both hard drives. (when it does work)

go 2 bios and try seting everythnig 2 default save and exit dont work then try cllearing the cmos jumper pins on the mobo see ya..

You know, i had this problem; i still do. My cable's defective; it doesn't like, stay in, so once in awhile i have to restart my comp and hold my DVD drive cable in. But this might not be your problem; just if it is...

I thought that too, but I swapped it around with my cd rom cable, and no luck. Thanks anyway people.

I guess I'll have to start saving :/

well, maybe your PSU not enough to support your PC or your hardisk cable having problem.~~~

i dunno 300 watts should be enough, my system (listed in my siggy) is powered by a 350watt, no power fluctuations, or brownouts.

well, a 20 + 120 was working fine, and it had been working with no problems for months prior, and I have also changed the cables around.

So yeah. :<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom