Shutdown during bootup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
Hey guys, short and sweet... 2 sticks of ram, both the same, they go in the second and third slot (for ddr - a7n8x) when there's only 1 stick of ram, the computer boots up, but with 2 sticks of ram, not only does it run at 166mhz dual chan, but it totally shuts off the computer during bootup.. why? also, my SATA isn't working, i installed mobo drivers and when i use the IDE converter, changing it to sata, it just sits at the bootup screen (cpu type, ram, etc...)
Please, if anyone can help a stressed gamer out, ideas will help! thanks everyone

-Demalii

ya sorry about that... ASUS a7n8x-deluxe/AMD 2500+/corsair pc3200 (ddr400) 512
1 stick works fine, but again, windows will start to load and crash mid-way (power shuts down)... i'll try flashing the bios again, last time it killed my mobo... do i need the SATAlink program on my computer to initialize the linkage? because i tried the IDE to SATA and i had already installed the drivers that came with the mobo and it didn't work... the ram is CAS 2.5 (2.5-3-3-7) should run like that, in bios it says freq. is 166, if i change it from auto to by SPD. it shows 200 but changes timing to 2.5-3-3-8.. anyways.. hope that'll help out a little bit more! thanks again

this is interesting, i have the exact same hardware except only 1 512MB XMS memory module. i think you should try to fix one problem at a time. try setting the SATA jumper on mobo to off and get the memory working first before you try to fix the SATA.

after you try 1+3 again, put the memory modules in banks 2+3. the manual says both combinations will work, but...who knows.

and also test each one and make sure that one of the memory modules isn't just bad

Ya, i've tested both sticks, and all slots for the mobo, everything's fine, the SATA is turned off right now... yea, i did a clean install except moving things from my old HD to this one after installing Win ME... and I'm supposed to have the dimms in slot 2 and 3 for dual channel (the blue slots) i dunno though, i'll try to change the voltage and see if that helps, i was going to try that, but didn't wanna fry anything, good thought though... could be why it's crashing out, thanks for the help guys, i'll keep ya updated if you wouldn't mind checking back.

-Demalii

video drivers?

could a MSI 5600 FX drivers be conflicting somehow, with a format and installation of video drivers only, windows loads to background and stalls out

sorry Demalii for not checking back to your topic. did you connect the pc speakers up, did you get any error beep codes?

did you try uninstalling the video drivers? can you test with another 4x or slower video card, you could be right that it is a video conflict, it also could be a memory issue, have you made any progress with this problem

again sorry for the late reply

no stresses, i read up about WinME and found that it basically wasn't made for more than 256 let alone handling 512... so i was pushing it to begin with.. so i installed win2k, which is all i have and it works a ton better.. hopefully i'll get xp soon and use that.. but for now i'm ok, thanks for the help though =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom