Upgrade to Athlon 2600+ XP-Mobile???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace No-Money

In Runtime
I am really considering upgrading to the Athlon XP 2600+ mobile.

I know it's a very good overclocker but all I really want is a modest 2.2GHz atleast out of it.

Do they run alot cooler than regular athlon XP's?

Could I run it at 10x 200fsb with 1.45v v-core? That'd be great!!

Is my PC compatible with a mobile chip?

- Thanks!

all the mobiles will overclock better and run cooler than the normal xp's. yes your pc is compatible, but i suggest waiting a while and saving up for the new dual core cpu's.

dual cores could be until the end of the year dude.

His setup will last him another 2 years easily before it gets to the point of HAVING to absolutely upgrade. He'd need a new motherboard, graphics card, RAM, and CPU if he waited for dual core so money wise the mobile way would be cheaper.

Trust me, you say you want to only hit 2.2GHz but next thing you know you'll be pushing it further :p I know I said the same thing and I'm sitting at 2.5GHz, but got it up to 2.8GHz because I wanted to absolutely know how far it'd go.

200x10 at 1.45vcore should work no probs. Same clock speed just different FSB which the higher FSB only effects the heat of the chipset so yeah that'd be fine.

Yes they are much easier to cool. Talkin like 20w less power through em

SWEET! Although my ABIT chipset fan died though and i get audio glitches sometimes. ill look for another one sometime.

yeah dude the NB chipset heatsink already sucks, so you definitely need to get that fixed. It heats up rather quickly so just spend like $20 and that'll get you a damn good aftermarket NB heatsink and you can hit for higher FSB's. Those PQI's should be able to handle it too

get you a damn good aftermarket NB heatsink and you can hit for higher FSB's. Those PQI's should be able to handle it too

Im not gonna up the fsb with these PQI.

I'll either buy some ddr550 or put together a nice little Athlon 64 939skt system.

If you're gonna put together a 939 system then why are you going to by this mobile?

Those PQI are known for hitting high FSB's, possibly not 275MHz, definitely not on the socket A system, but the DDR550 won't be able to hit 275MHz and retain 1:1 ratio so putting that in a socket 939 system would be a waste

Why couldn't I run DDR550 with a mobile 2600+ at like 8x 275MHz (2200MHz)? I dont understand, my NF7-S v2 goes up to 300MHz (600FSB).

As long as I keep the CPU cool and mobo chipset cool, I'll be fine right?

I will either overclock my FSB real BIG with my Athlon XP/Mobile setup by buying expensive DDR500-550

or

I will sell my Socket A stuff and make a 939 setup with the money instead, while keeping my cheep PQI DDR400

By the way I dont think this PQI pc3200 is overclockable, 200~205MHz maybe.

They even say PQI on the chips...lol!

It depends on which series of PQI's you got. Most of them use samsung TCCD chips and brainpower PCB which = OC'ing potential.

The board may go up to 300FSB but that doesn't mean it will actually want to run that high.

Getting past 250 with a gig of RAM would be a miracle on these socket A boards because you would have to do a voltage mod to the NB to be able to get past the normal 1.7v which that's really why you need extra cooling on that.

Even if you get DDR550 I highly doubt you'll be able to get the system running smoothly at 275MHz even though the RAM can do it, the motherboard can't

Hey, this thread got me to thinking, and so I checked NewEgg.

All Athlon Xp CPU's are socket A, including mobile ones (duh). So I looked at the mobile XP's. A 3000+ mobile XP has a FSB of 266MHz. My mobo only goes to 266, which a max of a 2400+ XP for me. Would the 3000+ work in my mobo? Seems like it would to me.

If it would...man, what a performance enhancement. And it runs cooler ? And a mobile 3000+ XP is running for $129 on NewEgg.

If any of you know if it would work, LET ME KNOW!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom