First time building computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo Okay, so I managed to get into my BIOS and look @ my cpu temperature, and it was 90 degrees + in celsius, the number was white, then turned red and I shut down once it reached about 96 degrees. Hmm, I think this is DEFITENTLY a problem (if not THE problem), this has to be why its shutting down, but why is it doing this? Im pretty sure I have it hooked up right, and I did apply the thermal compound, so how can this be?

Oh my, do I feel like an idiot. I did not apply that stuff right and sadly enough I used the whole tube worth :(

Im going to get some more tomorrow and try again o_O

The joys of PC building...Just think of all that you are learning!

Hate to have to say this, but with temperatures like that, we may be facing possible damange to the CPU. We'll see after you clean it up and try again.

Yeah, a learning experience ^_^

Lets just hope no permanent damage, my 6.50 an hour cant pay for that :(

Okay, I went out got some thermal grease and applied it, I now start at 25 degrees, and steadily go up as fan speed increases (which is listed in red, Im guessing critically fast), I went from about 25 degrees to 50 degrees in under a minute, I don't know why, but atleast it's not 90 to 96 degrees in 10 seconds, so I can stay on BIOS a little longer. Still the same errors;

"Serial_Ch01 Master: No Device"
"Serial_Ch02 Master: No Device"
"CMOS Checksum, Bad"
"CPU Fan Error"
"No drive attatched to FastTrack controller, no BIOS installed"

I also noticed that whenever I exit BIOS, my screen just goes black, and I have to reset the CMOS to get anything again, EVERYTIME, regardless of whether I "Load defaults" or just change 1-2 things. Any ideas?

50C is acceptable and you should see it rise rapidly and stabilize.

I have no other suggestions concerning the BIOS/MB other than point out that it is the most likely new component to come out of the box defective. This may be a problem that only the manufacturer can answer! It should not be this difficult. Depending on where it was purchased, I'd be tempted to exchange it.

Does it take you into the BIOS setup automatically? If you press nothing will it try to boot from the floppy?

Try posting it with only one stick of memory and try both. You can at least eliminate memory as the source of the problem.

Also, try posting it with just a CDROM or hard drive and unplug the floppy. A bad floppy drive can cause your system to hang on post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom