New video card, now internet not working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vantroe

Beta member
My video card went out a few days ago (GeForce 2, very nice card, but finally died:( ) I replaced it with an NVidia GeForce FX 5200 AGP with 128mg DDR ram. Lots of problems I'd been having over the past year disappeared when I replaced it so apparently I'd been having problems for awhile.

Anyways, ever since I replaced the video card, I can now no longer get on my DSL connection! I can plug it into a laptop and it works fine...but on the computer where I replaced the video card, it can't find the default gateway. It's almost as if something in the video card is conflicting with the network card.

So far I've reseated both network card and video card. I've moved the network card to another pci slot, I get lights on the network card so it seems to be fine. WinXP shows no problems with the network card and all my TCP/IP settings seem to be just fine. I reinstalled the software with my DSL connection and have even reinstalled WinXP.

However, I was concentrating on the network card and TCP/IP settings..and I noticed today that the display adapter was missing from the device manager. I thought that was peculiar since I just installed it, so I put the driver cd in to reinstall the video drivers and now I'm getting an error saying the video card isn't compatible with the drivers...it's the same cd that came with the video card I bought just 2 days ago!!

Should I just take the video card back and get a different one? Should I switch to another model or could I just have gotten a bad video card? Any suggestions will be wonderful! I'm at work right now so I can get online, but will be leaving in the next couple hours so hope to hear something soon if possible!!

Thanks!!
Van

Oh, I forgot to mention..this is a custom built machine with a crappy off-brand motherboard that I hope to replace very soon! It has an AMD 1.2 cpu, 1024 ram, 2 hard drives totalling 30gigs (another replacement coming soon) and a d-link dfe 530TX+ pci network card. I've been working for 13 hours and will be here a couple more, so forgive me if I can't remember the rest!

Id take tha card back...and if that dont work, look into a new NIC, they are fairly inexpensive.

check your network connections, i got a new nvidia card not long ago and well same thing happened, and i had to go in and i checked the "detect proxy settings" box and tryed again and it woks ever since now.

so try that it may hep

I took the video card back and replaced it with an Nvidia GeForce 2 MX200 32mb as that is pretty much what I had before. Problem is, I still had the same problem!

While I was at the store, I couldn't pass up a deal on a Maxtor 200gb Ultra ATA/133, 7200 rpm, 8mg cache hard drive...so I've been working all night trying to get this thing working now. I'm hoping a fresh install of WinXP will help somewhat.

Problem is, my mobo isn't Ultra ATA/133 compatible, so I had to get a PCI card to use with it. I finally found that I had to set the bios to look for a SCSI drive so it would boot from it..but I'm having all kinds of WinXP installation problems.

I've got the system doing a chkdsk /r and it seems to be finding some problems, so I may have a corrupt file system or possibly even a bad hard drive. It's taking forever to run the chkdsk /r, so no telling what it'll come up with.

Wish me luck...I'm gonna scream if it took me all this time to get to this point only to have a bad hard drive out of the box!

Thanks!
Van

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom