From My computer or in on start up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you mean whats the best way to install the OS then its best to put the CD in first rather than boot your pc then install.

for windows installs, it's either way, if you put the disk in while booted, you may tend to run into more problems, but you have more options like: System Acceptance Testing, etc...

Although, if you put it in at boot (before OS loading), you have a less chance of running into problems (freezing).

With linux though, you should just put the disk in before boot. If you put it in while the OS is started, it will just restart your comp and install it.

If he is looking to install a new OS, the adivsed method is to format the HDD and do a clean install.

The minimum Requirements for XP home are:

233Mhz CPU
128Mb RAM
40 Gb HDD

As for XP PRO:

300Mhz CPU
256Mb RAM
40 Gb HDD

They are just guidlines though. For XP PRO you really shouldn't be running less than 512Mb RAM and obviously any increase in CPU speed etc, is a bonus.

Catbert said:
If he is looking to install a new OS, the adivsed method is to format the HDD and do a clean install.

The minimum Requirements for XP home are:

233Mhz CPU
128Mb RAM
40 Gb HDD

As for XP PRO:

300Mhz CPU
256Mb RAM
40 Gb HDD

They are just guidlines though. For XP PRO you really shouldn't be running less than 512Mb RAM and obviously any increase in CPU speed etc, is a bonus.
where did you make these numbers up from?

Lets update that for him:

Here's What You Need to Use Windows XP Professional

• PC with 300 megahertz or higher processor clock speed recommended; 233 MHz minimum required (single or dual processor system);* Intel Pentium/Celeron family, or AMD K6/Athlon/Duron family, or compatible processor recommended

• 128 megabytes (MB) of RAM or higher recommended (64 MB minimum supported; may limit performance and some features)

• 1.5 gigabytes (GB) of available hard disk space*

• Super VGA (800 x 600) or higher-resolution video adapter and monitor

• CD-ROM or DVD drive

• Keyboard and Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device

The spec requirements that I posted are what I go by. If you wish to use the exact min requirements as posted by MS thats fine but personaly I reckon they are crap and should be changed.

And as you can see, I have not under cut any requirments.

Well they do work, from MS. That's just the minimum, of course XP will run better with what you said...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom