How to completely wipe a hard drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good.

Just so you know, I got a boot sector virus and wanted to be sure it was gone. Powermax seems to be what I need. Thanks again for everyone's help.

southernlady said:
What I lost were files such as World Family Trees ....
Liz, I am sorry to hear that.

Please take no offense, but I know this is now why you will tell people that is is very important to keep multiple copies of your data which you treasure most...

I personally learned the hard way several years ago that it is vital to keep copies of important data.

Who ever thought that we would need to copy things digitally vs. paper,....

Hey,..it happens,.. :confused:

With the quality that hard drives are constructed with today, I hope that everyone does one of the following:

Run a raid 1 mirror setup

Backups of your data on an internal or external backup drive, or DVDs

A remote backup to a server.

I think this post got a little off topic, but none the less, I think everyone came away with good knowlege from it.

Backups of your data on an internal or external backup drive, or DVDs

Even this is no quarantee in case of fire or other force of Mother Nature that you are safe!

I also have mine in a very safe place now, I have it posted online in a file with Rootsweb as far as the Family Tree stuff...my genealogical photos and family trees.

You can also use the Yahoo Briefcase to store digital files if you have a yahoo account, up to 30 gigs worth of stuff...it's like having a back up hard drive. And in the case of an emergency, I would upload stuff there in a heartbeat! Liz

southernlady said:
Actually, if you look at WHERE I get 99% of MY software, http://www.majorgeeks.com/ http://www.nonags.com/ and http://decentdownloads.x-istence.com/ and then I verify them with an antivirus prior to installing them, I don't pick them up THAT way. Except for my html! And that I am VERY careful with!

However, given the fact that I DO read HiJack Logs and have to look up links and files I can't find any other way but to google them, sometimes I run into *real doozies* and infect myself that way unknowingly. Hazard of the occupation. Liz
Well, just goes to show...when using a computer, always use protection.

Same goes for sex too.

Although I probably wouldn't recommend wearing a condom while on the computer as a way of preventing viruses... :confused:

EricB said:
your hard drive is twice as likely to fail in this setup.
The point of a Raid 1 Mirror is having 100% redundancy of data, and means no rebuild is necessary in case of a disk failure, just a copy to the replacement disk.

I would rather have the cheap insurance of an additional hard drive than go through another complete reload of my machine. :D

Although I probably wouldn't recommend wearing a condom while on the computer as a way of preventing viruses

Wouldn't work anyway, LOL...

However, I can isolate myself off the network to keep from infecting the entire network in the house! Liz

However, given the fact that I DO read HiJack Logs and have to look up links and files I can't find any other way but to google them, sometimes I run into *real doozies* and infect myself that way unknowingly. Hazard of the occupation. Liz

I think most infections come through email, file sharing, or downloads. Browsing is relativey safe. I keep a older computer for experimenting. I'm far too courious to be safe!

As for backups, redundancy is the key. Keep a copy in two physical locations so fire or Mississippi's tornadoes can't get it!

most infections come through email, file sharing, or downloads

Key word being most, however there are exceptions. And I've run into a few, so have other log readers. It happens. Liz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom