Self-built PC won't boot up

Status
Not open for further replies.

alphamale

Beta member
Hi. IÂ’m new around here, and IÂ’m grateful for any help I can get.

I am building a computer (my first) and the thing is refusing to boot. My basic specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3GHz 800MHz (connected to a Zalman cooler)
RAM: Crucial DDR 3200 1GB (as two sticks)
Video card: Sapphire Radeon 9800 Pro Atlantis
PSU: Zalman 400W

I connected it and powered up to see if the chip and memory were recognized. The fans started whirring and the power LED on the mobu lit up, so power was getting thru, but there was no beeping and the monitor stayed blank. In addition to the usual beeps, this board is also supposed to have vocal post messages that tell you if memory, a CPU, or a graphics card, etc is missing or faulty, but I get nothing.

I tried connecting everything up (keybd, mse, HD, etc) but that made no difference. I tried swapping the RAM around the different slots, and even tried just one stick of memory, but that didnÂ’t work either. I also tried another speaker to the case, just in case the one in my new case was faulty. Again, zilch. At this point, I thought the mobo was DOA, so I sent it back to the supplier, but after testing it, they said it was fine. The power connections were all sound and firm.

Could it be:
1) The PSU? Could one power lead be working OK so that the fans get going, but because the other is dead the board canÂ’t post?
2) A dead video card? Would testing it without the card be a good idea, or would that stop a working mobo from booting anyway?
3) Incompatible memory? I’ve heard Crucial is a good brand, and the specs are right, but I understand that sometimes components can ‘mismatch’.
4) A dead CPU?
5) The Zalman fan isn’t ‘seen’ by the mobo because it is slower than the usual fans and so is refusing to boot? (The mobo has fan-speed control.)
6) Something blindingly obvious that a newbie like me would miss?

IÂ’d appreciate any tips, things I should try first, but please bear in mind that I donÂ’t have any spares to swap around. I donÂ’t think the components on the aging computer IÂ’m writing this post on are compatible.

Is your memory overclocked memory? Are they Samsung chips on there? Asus boards are picky about what memory modules you use. I'd check they're site first to make sure you purchased the right chips.

I had the same prblem with the system listed below. It would not post, so i took the radeon 9200 AGP card out and replaced it with a radeon 7500 PCI card that i knew worked, and Voila! it booted up and i was able to get into the bios :) I have learned from the course im taking and from previous experiences, that the problem is usually very simple.( however, sometimes its more serious and complex) If that fail(switching the vid card out for another) Do what Microbell said. oh, and if it does boot up, load the OS with that different vid card in until the os is installed, then shut down, take the other card out and put the 9800 in and hit the power. It should boot up, but as micro bell said, you may have a bad card, if possible, test that card in another computer.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try out your tips today.

Microbell asks whether I'm getting any beeps at all. The answer is no. As far as I'm aware, I'm not getting anywhere near the bios.

Lostman asks whether I'm using overclocked memory. Again, no. This memory is fully supported by this board. I checked the mobu manual and Crucial is not mentioned on the recommended memory manufacturers list, though. Could be a problem...

One more thing. Every time you remove the CPU cooler from the chip, do you have to replace the thermal paste or do you just add a squidge more? If you do remove it, how do you do it?

Anyway, off to work...

The thermal compound is only needed if you have left your computer on for while... if you take it off.. look at the paste and see if its still there.. if theres a missing chunk.. u need to replace it..

the computer may be booting normally but there is some conflict with the video card. try using a different video card and see what happens.

it also could be your monitor isn't working right or you could have a dead processor. was this processor tested before working?

Thanks to everyone who's given me tips. I reassembled the machine today and...guess what? I'm getting into the bios. I think what made the difference was that I paid careful attention to the positioning of the mounting screws in relation to the surrounding tracks on the mobo. Last time I noticed that when I pushed the mobu flush with the back plate, the screws were on the edge of the safety area and this may have been shorting the board out. (Thanks for alerting me to this, Microbell.)

Anyway, a new quandary... I've got a SATA hard drive, a CD-RW and a DVD-ROM to connect up. The question I have is do you connect the CD and DVD drives to the primary IDE channel or the secondary one? The SATA drive has its own separate mobu connector and so doesn't automatically go in the primary slot.

The optical drives can be arranged in any order you want since you are using the Sata connector. If you have no other drives going on, then I would suggest placing each optic on the master position for the primary and secondary IDE interface. This will give you the best performance. The Sata acts on it's own and has no effect on the IDE side.

Thanks for the advice, guys. Drives are all connected up.

Microbell, you mentioned updating the bios. In fact, when I boot up and it goes into detect mode, it comes up with the message:

'No device is found.
BIOS is not installed.'

And then:

'Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key.'

I took your advice and downloaded the latest bios from the Asus site and the flash update software: AFUDOS.exe and P4ced11.rom. I put this onto a floppy, but when I put it into the machine I still get the above messages. The floppy drive is detected by the system and is connected the right way round.

I would be very happy if someone could tell me the way on from here...

Signing off, amid much gnashing of teeth.

Your boot order is wrong. You will need to go into the BIOS to adjust the boot order so that the system is looking to the Floppy drive first. The error you are getting is for the IDE RAID config for this board. With out the Boot device, It will not load the BIOS for it. Simular to SCSI. CDroms will not work as a BOOT device on the IDE RAID side...
This will help you for creating the boot disk and getting it working
Bios Help Page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom