Problem getting a new HD working

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubGum

Baseband Member
My friend just got a Samsung SP0411N 40gig HD, and has had problems getting it to work in his e-Machine W2040 desktop. It recognizes the drive is there in the hardware manager, but it doesn't show it as a usable drive in the "My Computer" line up. I was wondering if perhaps it's not working because it uses "IDE Ultra" and maybe his computer is only IDE. I really haven't had much experience with these things and would appreciate some insight. We also tried the drive in my computer with the same effects, though my computer is much older. Anyone have any suggestions¿

Go to Start>run>
type: diskmgmt.msc

If the new disk is "unallocated" you will have to rightclick, and create a new partition/format.

Won't even let me recognize it to format it, I thought of that but can't get into fdisk to do it. We even tried taking out the master HD and booting with the new one, but it wouldn't let us do anything with it.

Already messed with jumpers, missed you post about using diskmgmt.msc though, so I'll try that out and see what happens.

Sweet! Worked! Now I'm happy :). Thanks for your help. One more question though, do you always have to do that with new drives? This is the first time I've ever used a brand new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom