Cost-Benefit Analysis: Internet Access Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
if you look at a GP editor, "run GPEDIT.msc" to see the local version, it's pretty easy to get the hang of it. for what you want to do, just set the user config, under administrative templates, Control Panel, display, and then then choose the option you want to enforce. to do the same in AD isn't that mych different, you just have to understand how the policy's get applyed. User configurations can only be applyed to users and the same for computer policy, so you have to apply the settings to the OU's of users\computers...
if you have specifics, ask away. I work better with that kind of stuff rather than generic questions... :)

" just set the user config, under administrative templates, Control Panel, display, and then then choose the option you want to enforce. to do the same in AD isn't that mych different, you just have to understand how the policy's get applyed. User configurations can only be applyed to users and the same for computer policy, so you have to apply the settings to the OU's of users\computers..."

I was with you until you mentioned User Configurations being applied to users, which seemed a little redundant.
All the students in the library share the same domain user account (aptly named "student") so how do I apply the gpedit.msc changes to this domain user, or does it do it automatically?

Edit: Also, could I accomplish the same thing by editing local policy as the administrator on each computer?

Yes and Yes. GP is applyed from Domain to OU, BU then machine or something like that... it's a weird hiarchy thing. If you configure a user policy on the workstation, it will do the same thing as with setting up the user account you use on the domain to use the same one. The difference is that you don't have to visit every workstation to set up the policy.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I went to Books-a-Million over the weekend and looked for the books you suggested. While the XP Bible looked pretty comprehensive, but it didn't have what I wanted. I found another book that looks like it will be quite useful; so I'm getting my workplace to place an order for "Using Windows XP Pro: Platinum Edition" for $60. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom