buying a amd 64 3000 939 90nm need help OCing

Status
Not open for further replies.

efd753

In Runtime
Im relaly new at this so what do i need? software hardware?

Is the heatsink and fan that coem in the box fine?

Im buyign a MOBO/cpu combo i can go with retaill cpu or oem. the oem i have to buy my heatsink here is called Themaltake A1772
also im applying the themal grease.

Now what software if any what MOBO and do i do this from the bios or from windows plz help.

sooooo many people don't see this....

http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22031

i don't reccomend overclocking from windows...bios is the way to go for clockin' the cpu.....windows is fine for graphics cards only i say.

since your applyin' some aftermarket goop, the stock headsink and fan should be fine...unless your gonna do some major crazy overclockin' with the multiplyer and stuff like that.

plus...those processors run pretty cool to begin with..so you've got some room to play with the temps

so it will fine if i go with the boxed cpu. i dont need an new heatsink\fan sorry for my noobiness what goop?

some people ave had troubles getting 3000's past stock but then again some have had 2.6 easy. all luck i spose

what motherboard woudl u recommend is the best for overcloaking?

Stock cooloers mean the fan and heatsink that came with cpu right?

Yep, just like a car. Stock engine, stock rims, all the original gear. Stock is the worse way to go, but it does work. Your going to want some type of moderate cooling system, usually air cooling works well for first timers. Not that its bad on any type of scale.

Remember the stock heatsink comes with a pad on the bottom. You need to scrape off that thermal pad if you're going to add your own thermal paste to the bottom. You do NOT want both on there as you'll get worse temps.

If you're serious about overclocking I highly suggest you get an aftermarket heatsink. You CAN OC with the stock heatsink, but for better temps and chances at OC'ing aftermarket is the way to go.

ABit or DFI make some of the best OC'ing boards out there, so I suggest you look to their boards

ABit has teamed up with Jonathan 'Fatal1ty' Wendel to make his own brand of board, one for Intel, one for AMD, that's supposed to be great for OC'ing.

Kevin rose had it on the screen savers and he managed to lock up the computer and require resetting the CMOS....as I watched him I'm thinking "with all this knowledge he has you'd figure he's completely familiar with OC'ing" but yeah he was seeming kind of noobish.

So yeah you could look at the AMD version of the Fatal1ty board, supposed to be all good with OC'ing and has some of the voltage chips with heatsink on it, and fans over the RAM, but yeah, I would suspect with your own cooling the ones such as the AV8-3rd eye or AX8-3rd eye (if you wanted PCI-E) would be as good too.

DFI's Lanparty series is a good OC'er

But you need to READ READ READ READ, I can't stress this enough. Just last time I had 4 threads in here "Help, I jumped my FSB from 133 to 200, now it doesnt work what do I do!?!"

If you've read anything into OC'ing you shouldn't even need to ask that kind of question.

So please, do yourself and everyone here a favor and READ all you can on OC'ings basics...OC'ing using the board you plan on purchasing, the OC'ability of the CPU you get, OC'ing on the kind of RAM you get also.

For overclocking mobo, i suggest MSI or DFI. If you want a stable system, then i recommend Gigabyte.
Stock fan and heatsink comes with the retail box, and I suggest you buy a new thermal grease, i recommend Artic Silver 5, AS5

for 3000+, you just have to be fortunate enough to get the right one to overclock. A good is SPAW 0448, my friend got it over 2.7ghz.

For overclocking mobo, i suggest MSI or DFI. If you want a stable system, then i recommend Gigabyte.
DFI yes, but not MSI..although their newer K8 boards have fairly good options, and enough for overclocking, ABit and DFI are easily the two most top recognized boards for OC'ing, and I replace gigabyte with MSI as far as stable goes. Gigabyte is 'ehh' IMO, not bad, but not that great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom