Win XP refuse to create boot disk, help needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead_Kennedy

Beta member
Thx for checking this post out.

I am trying to upgrade my motherboard's BIOS (AMI Bios, MSI-845 PRO motherboard),so as to fix the glitch my motherboard has with ATI Video Cards.

Thing is,in order to do so,I have to restart the PC from a boot disk,before I flash the BIOS.So I do the following:

My Computer--->A: Drive(right click)--->format---->create MS-DOS startup disk

So far so good.

When I boot the computer from this floppy disk,the following happen:

i)I cant get into C: drive. When I try to access the hard disk,I get an "invalid drive specification" error message. I think there's something I have to do in autoexec.bat or config.sys, but I cant remember what it is

ii)The command.com of this floppy disk says that it is Windows Millenium Edition (!?)

The strange thing is that I used the XP installation CD to format my hard disk,so there can be no trace of ever using Windows Me.

Any ideas?

I have one idea.Win XP is a terrible O/S. And so is Microsoft. I have never tried Linux before, but I am seriously thinking about it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated,cause I really need to install the ATI Radeon 9600 PRO video card,and I cant do it unless I boot from a floppy,flash the BIOS,and fix the glitch of MSI-845 motherboard with ATI cards.

Thx.

Nikos,
Greece.

You cann't see your C: drive because your using a FAT32 'win me' boot disk and your hd is probably NTFS format. NTFS is much different than FAT32 you might want to do some studying on it.

If you want a win xp boot disk you can either use the win xp cd to do that or make your own, or download them from bootdisk.com. By booting with win xp you will not get a dos prompt like you do if you were to boot from a fat32 'win me or win98' boot disk. The NTFS is a command prompt shell at best.
This is because NTFS is much higher in security than FAT32 - to prevent just anyone from using a boot disk and being able to change anything on a FAT32 level.

Where do you get that he's using NTFS?

It's a moot point anyway. You need a boot disk just to boot to the DOS prompt right?

If that's the case, then do a search for "Win98 boot disk" on the internet, format a floppy and copy all that to it. Then boot to "command prompt" and your set. I don't think you need an OS specific boot disk for what your trying to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom