What's your biggest computer disaster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive had general data loss after my motherboard failed, nothing too serious though. thats why i build my external HDD to backup regularly.

I've had a power supply incident before, one of the circuits I believe somehow crossed with something else on the power supply and melted the wire basically. The power supply was the smoking enough to set off the smoke detector, but luckily no other components were damaged.

A few weeks ago in my computer engineering class, some smart ass who figured he was safe with rubber gloves and safety glasses took apart a power supply and connected the base of the capacitator with a screw driver. The capacitator nearly blew acid all over him and a few other students working in the area, but a trusty computer case absorbed most of the splash and probably saved a few trips to the hospital for 1st degree burns. The computer case was totally destroyed though.

That kid got expelled later that day, and was actually charged with mischief I believe.

Not having enough sense to backup my data :|.. My HD failed. Need I say more :(. This was about 6 years ago :(

Thankfully, nothing too disasterous (like £300 graphics cards getting destroyed, or losing some skin from capacitor acid :eek: ).

EDIT: The worst thing for me was probably just loosing the data on my HDD, no back-up.

Biggest disaster i had was when i got a new case,I put all my old stuff in and it came on a couple of time's no prob,I decided to turn it off for a while and when i went to turn it back on i heard a big pop with a quik flash, I lost my mobo-ram-cpu:( Thank god it was old crap but hey atleast i had a reason to get some new stuff:D

When i was 15, with my 800mhz celeron. "Compaq". I got all excited about up grading. So i went and got a 9600, and RAM. Little did i know i got the completely wrong RAM. Laptop RAM lol. It was in a box, so i couldent see the obvious size difference. Yet the idiot at bestbuy said, " yeah this will work" lol. Then i found out the worse way i dident have a AGP slot... So everything was worthless. All my effort and the time i spent figuring out what i wanted ect. That was when i dident even know you can OC a computer.

After that it was like a spark, i just had to learn about computers. I had no idea what i was doing, just thinking about benefits lol.

gaara said:

A few weeks ago in my computer engineering class, some smart ass who figured he was safe with rubber gloves and safety glasses took ...

That kid got expelled later that day, and was actually charged with mischief I believe.

lol.. man. why didn't he just say it was an "accident"? :eek:

That's rough tho. That must have been one mother of a capacitor.. :amazed: Short circuting a capacitor is one thing, but that much damage?.. lol.. Poor bastard..

yeah, generally the tops brown...I didn't think there were ones in there that big that would literally splash on stuff. I've only taken apart a small PSU though and turned it into a test PSU, was only like 120w.

Rubber gloves...check....Goggles....check.....highly conductive screw driver and electricity filled unit.....cheZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZPOP!

EDIT: But yeah best buy peope are morons. I can't believe they have some of those people suggesting stuff. They need to take a test if they want to give computer advice. You see now best buy has 'Geek squad' ....ehh I dread to think how terrible they are. I want to go in and ask them what a top knotch computer would be and see what they list off.

PC133 256mb of RAM
FX 5200
AMD 1800+ XP

That thing will play anygame highest settings..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom