Sound Card Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

toxicity_27

The Angriest of Amoebas
Alright, I just put in a new soundcard. It is an AOpen Cobra AW-840. I followed the instructions for the driver cd and I downloaded the newest drivers off the website. Problem is, I still don't have any sound! The volume bar isn't appearing in the toolbar on my screen, and when I go into entertainment/volume control and click, no new window pops up. I'm getting fairly angry at this soundcard and computer, and am about ready to take it and throw it outside and drive over it with the truck. Anyone have any ideas on what is going on?:angry: :mad: :(

Have you looked in device manager to check that the sound card & its components are actually installed correctly & not conflicting with anything?

Also, are you sure the soft volume control has been installed? Don't know about winme but in windows 98 check this by going into add/remove progs > Windows setup > multimedia options

my only suggestion is, open your device manager, (right click my computer/hardware tab/device manager. Find the soundcards/devices section, and disable the onboard audio, and like Samm said, make sure that your new card is installed and working correctly. If disabling your onboard audio through device manager doesn't work, open your comp, and search for a jumber on the mobo that is listed as the sound card jumber (onboard audio) move this jumper to disable. GOOD LUCK!!!

Alright, well I know that it is installed correctly and isn't conflicting with any other components. Where might the jumper for the onboard audio be? I went into my BIOS and disabled my onboard audio, and it said that the PCI slot that my souncard is in is enabled, so if it's just that jumper I'll be a happy camper. Thanks for all the help so far.

Well, I looked, and I don't have an onboard audio jumper on my motherboard. :( In fact, I don't think I saw a single jumper on it! I think that I'm basically pooch screwed aren't I?

na, just do what I said before, disable onboard audio controller through the device manager. this should solve your problem. Also, try reinstalling the drivers for the sound card that isn't working (after disabling the onboard audio).

There isn't a thing in my device manager for onboard audio. If I disable the audio things that were there before, I get conflicts and things saying that it is impossible to hear sound. Before, and off and on, when I tried to preview a sound in sounds and multimedia, it said that my soundcard was in use. It wasnt' being used by anything that I know of, but it said it was. I'm so confused with this, I've been trying to get sound for 2-3 years now on this computer, and just recently I decided to get a soundcard, might have been a bad move on my part I guess..:(

i have already posted dis problem on a nother topic read... !

the bios is not reading the new sound card that u put in the pci slot because its directly shooting at the onboard so its not recognizing u have anoteher one in the pci slot so u gota go in the bios and disable the ONBOARD sound card and then that shud do the trick peace..

If you would have read one of the posts above that I wrote, you would have already noticed that I disabled my onboard sound in my BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom