Improving my PC - CHEAPLY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with the PS, it's fine, provided you dont get a 6800 Ultra. Ram, Video Card, 10k RPM HD/RAID, in that order

RAM (another 512MB should do you good), Video Card (you might want something like a 9600PRO), HDD (Maybe a 10K SATA or better).

You said you run your RAM at 333 because it's unstable at 400, yes? That is a sign of somethgin wrong with your hardware (an i would suspect your POS mobo). Running 400MHz 24/7 at stock timings/voltage should be NO problem for PC3200. If you are having instability than i would definetly look into that first and replace w/e it might be causing the problem FIRST.

Replace your RAM, there's no reason why a DDR400 should not run stable at 400mhz with the advertised timings, if it's still under warranty, RMA it, that's just not right.

Also, while you are at it, you should invest in another faster stick of 512mb, prefferably PC4000. I've noticed one of your sticks is DDR533, whereas the other is only DDR400. This automatically underclocks the DDR533 to 400mhz, thus bottlenecking your system as a whole. This may also be the reason for your instability, especially considering you are using two very different RAM sticks.

Two in dual channel would be your best option as it will reduce latency and increase speeds, but your budget probably won't allow it unless you can find another stick of the same PC4000.

Trifid said:
why a 9600 pro? save the money from the hard drive, with a 7200rpm one.

well i was thinking if hes not much of a gamer, then a 9600PRO should hold him over until he plans to sell the computer. it will play alot of games that he might purchase between now and then, but it's not really too over the top. its his call of course...the 5200 might already exceed what he wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom