lightning damage????

Status
Not open for further replies.

neil1200

Beta member
my computer seems to be having some issues after the lightning striked a day ago. It was working just fine before I tured it off and then there was lightning and next day I turned it on, it keeps shutting off. It will boot up and I can get as far as opening the browser then it will restart itself. Do you think my power supply or something got damaged because of lightning. I do have a decent surge protector but it's a cheap one. Also, can it still get damaged even it was turned off??

Try opening up the case and look at the capicator things on the motherboard (they are small cylinder like things) and see if they look popped or there is stuff coming out of the top of the them.

Good Luck,
Robert

Lightning can do all sorts of damage that you probably can't see. You'll probably need to test each individual component in another computer to find the fault. It is likely that something was damaged because it's too much of a coincidence that your computer is displaying symptoms right after lightning struck.

By the by, a surge protector usually won't protect appliances (especially computers) from lightning damage, only spikes in the power line.

By the by, a surge protector usually won't protect appliances (especially computers) from lightning damage, only spikes in the power line.
why is this now? please explain, that doent make sence to me.
--------------------------------------
there are variations when lightning accures. but, id bet if anything got damaged, it would be your surge protector, or your computes power supply.

move the pc of the surge protector and try pluging it ina different wall outlet. if that doesnt work, try another computers power supply if one is avalible to you.

it is possible that some other component inside your comp could of been damaged.. but that also depeneds on the intensity of the lightning. example- over the past few years, there were a few lighting storms here that tripped the circuit braker and caused a black out, but my comp started back up no problems every time(i leav comp on 24/7)

Well lightning damage is usually caused by static electricity in the air. I myself happen to use a surge protector and my computer was still damaged beyond repair in a nearby lightning storm. Also if the mains happens to experience a direct lightning strike, a surge protector will most likely explode, along with several other mains powered appliences, including your computer, but don't worry about this as it is unusual. Voltages associated with lightning are far too high for a surge protector to "protect" from. It's considered a bit more than a surge in these circumstances.

Nothing will protect you against a direct lightning strike except having your computer 2 feet away from any metal in your basement.

Look at the capicators, and look at your power supply voltages.

I have had 2 extremely close lightning stikes, one struck my neighbours CB radio antenna since he decided to make it 100ft tall (fried the CB radio) and one hit a tree behind my house

surge protector/ power strip, heres a link for ya, but thy can be found at any retailer, link

Well lightning damage is usually caused by static electricity in the air. I myself happen to use a surge protector and my computer was still damaged beyond repair in a nearby lightning storm. Also if the mains happens to experience a direct lightning strike, a surge protector will most likely explode, along with several other mains powered appliences, including your computer, but don't worry about this as it is unusual.
-damage by static electricity? you mean EMI? your going to have to explain more. because i doubt thats making any sence.

-appliences or anythin wont actualy explode. nothing will proly happen except if there damaged thy wont turn on.

-what are u talking about the mains? if the main power lines outside the house get hit, thats not any different then lightning entering the circuit from anyother way. If at all id imajine that would be better, because the main lines prolly have better protection gainst lightning then any other circuit.

-if the circuit breaker doesnt stop it, i dont see why a surge protector wouldnt do anything but help.

-id also imagine that if the lightning hits a line, its not heading strait for your computer or any other applience. its heading directly for ground, but the power spike in the line from it getting hit is what damages some appliences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom