Socket Type

Status
Not open for further replies.

PILMAN

In Runtime
Just a question here. Why does Intel pretty much change the socket size every year? I called up monarchcomputer to look at pricing for chipsets and I guess the highest they make now for socket 478 is 3.4 and that's extreme edition (1,000 dollars). They said the new sockets are now metal ballings instead of pins. Upgrading my mobo every year seems somewhat inefficient. Does AMD do this as much as Intel?

well...thre's socet a, 754 and 939, along with 940 for servers or something....a is the xp's, 754 and 939 are the 64 bits...but there are multiple stages for each socket...i think that amd is stayin' with the 939's though for the next generation stuff.

Yeah but at the rate CPU's are coming out at and the fact you need a motherboard pretty much every ghz it gets pretty annoying you know? about a year and a half ago I had to buy a new motherboard just to fit a 1.7 ghz, then I finally got one and upgraded to 2.4, now I find out the max I can upgrade to is 3.2, well 3.4 if I wanna dish out the 1000.

i don t'know to much about intel, but amd's are faily nice for upgrading...i can take out my 2800+ and put in a 3400+ (socket 754).
plus, new processors means better technology and the mobo's might not be able to handle it. =

Right, I'm just not too happy because now all the new mobos have completely new technology which will probably render my system obsolete in about 6 months. PCI express, the new DDR2 ram, new video cards only working on PCI, new CPU. It's driving me nuts! AHHH!

pc's will always be out dated unless you have the money to get every little thing that comes out, that will in the end mean you have to get a new motherboard.

I'd gladly pay $150 for a mobo and gain a whole 1000MHz for it. Not to mention you gain much more than just CPU MHz when going to a new mobo, you get new supported features, faster bandwidth, more features and faster all around performance.

Chances are if you didn't buy your computer in the last 6 months...it's beyong obsolete. AMD is already phasin out the ancient XP line of there chips and deaming Socket 754 to only last another 2-3 yrs.

DDR2 isn't looking too good for AMD right now either, people seem to be sticking with DDR for it's timings and speed. DDR2 hasn't been deamed overclocking worthy in any aspect as fasr as i know...i wouldn't buy it yet. But it may become more popular as it gets better...its still pretty new.

Again i think PCI-E is still new...and totally under-developed. It's not showing significant speed gains over AGP8X...at lest not enough to turn heads. IT's only popular because it's new and flashy. SLi is also pretty worthless and hopefully will be phased out soon...it was just an excuse for not making dual core cards lol.

PILMAN said:
Yeah but at the rate CPU's are coming out at and the fact you need a motherboard pretty much every ghz it gets pretty annoying you know?

:mad: I know!

Why do they have to release a different processor for 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, and 3.4GHz??

I'm just tired of my computer being outdated several weeks after I take it home...

Trifid said:

link broken. what i meant was that they need to start making dual core cards again that will overclock and run with the big boys. i think the last popular one was the voodoo5 (i have one) and its was freaking massive. after that they only made single core cards with massive amounts of memory. it's gotten to the point where we don't really need more memory...we need freakin faster cores. they can't make SMALLER cores right now...so they went with dual gfx cards (unfortunately not lowering the price...which makes SLi unfortunate). Who wants to pay $1200 just for gfx cards...when a $600-700 dual core card will perform jsut as good if not better, its smaller, and its guaranteed to work with..err..itself. some SLi cards just dont work together...others do..so thats annoying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom