heres one for you guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

chesman

In Runtime
Well ok guys, at my college we have acomputer repair shop where people bring in their computers and we fix them for free. well i got my first machine today, and well what can i say, its VERY sick. lol

ok, lets get to it, i beleive that it is the CMOS settings or the board.

wel, it wont boot, and i can not get inot hte bios, so from what i can gatheris this as the specs:

P2 ??mgz
10 gig hdd
pci vid card
and two sticks of pc100 ram, cant tell what the mem capacity on them are.

currently thats all we have installed, and well, i am still gettingthe eror.

I boot, and it says cmos chekcsum error, so thats fine, but, it then tels me to insert system disk, which i do, and then when it boots with it and the win98 menu pops up to start with cdrom, without cdrom, etc., i cant move to select something, so it just goes ahead, without selecting one somehow, and says it cant find the system files on the disk, and leaves me at a prompt. when i try to run fdisk, it says there is no fixed disk present, so i canhged the disk, the ide cable and same thing.

I reset the bios, removed the battery and replaced it, and well changed ram and everything.

mot of the time i geta beep error that has two beeps, but they are realy deep beeps, and soundlike "booooo baaaaaaa" in a deep tone, lol

But ya, im thinking that either the cmos is the error, or the board is fried.

well tell me what you think guys!

thanks!

well for being that old i wouldn't be surprised if the mobo is dead. i wonder if you will be able to find the files to flash it since it is so old. i still bet the board is dead. the most obvious answer is usually right.

- microbell, i would PM you if your inbox wasn't full. go check your tibsun/ firestorm topic in the general gamimg forum and let me know if you're interested.

the bios is an award bios, s/n 112125
the mobo is a mini-atx formfactopr, cant tell manufacturer from it
the ram is pc100 and thats all i can tell form it where it does not even test it during boot.

when i boot with the win98 boot disk as well it propmts me to start with /without cd rom and one other , but i cant select any of them, it just gowesahead and goes on with the drivers and what not, then it finishs with the driver intstallations and then tells me that it coudl nto find the win98 system files on the disk, and stsy tehre, it also does not pick up any fixed disks. or anything.

ya the beeps i get sometimes are a hi/low beep, and sometimes it is a continous high pitched beep. lol i boot to the win98 boot disk but it says the windows file are not there.

i am working onthis computer in the computer shop here at school for one of the faculty who droped it in, and i think that the board is gone,cause we took out the battery, reset the bios, etc. and well i wanted to see if i can get itwokring for him, if not, no big deal, thanks

tell me what u think guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom