First time building computer...

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. ...heh....don't connect the two SATA plugs together. Serial ATA is a type of hard drive that offers slightly increase performance over Parallel ATA. From your previous posts, I don't think you have any SATA drives so don't plug anything into the SATA plugs. Also, you only have one drive so you won't be using RAID (Random Array of Inexpensive Disks). Ignore the RAID and SATA BIOS messages.

It sounds like you've plugged something where it doesn't belong - so the comptuer no lonber boots.

Alex81388 said:
Checksum error is common with AMD cpus. Just go into your bios and select 'Load Optimized Defaults' to get rid of that one, and probably some others you are recieveing.

Now that you mention it, I remember this same issue arising on the first post on a couple of AMD builds. So this should fix the checksum error.

This leaves the fan...

Yeah I remember being in a shop were they had AMD XP builds basically on an assemply line, and EVERY time with EVERY motherboard you had to Load Optimized Defaults or Set Default Setting or something along those lines.

mysticat, frustrated :) Any progrress. Building your first computer can be overwheliming expecially if you don't know the basic terminology. You have some nice components and it will be working soon! Take a couple of steps backward to where you can get into the BIOS (just have the floppy plugged and no other drives) and get the BIOS excepting the fan. Feel free to email by clicking on my profile. If you can get your camera working we'll have that sucker playing half life by the end of the day!

Hmm, I didn't unplug anything or change anything around, just took a look inside. I can get into BIOS, but then it will randomly shut down (whether I change something or not) and then lock me out of it until I give up and try again later (20 minutes or so), then randmoly let me in, boot me out, and not let me in again, I don't understand why. I wish I could find the memory card for this camera, I'll have to look around really hard today when I get home from school (getting home early because of snow ^_^)

"Serial_Ch01 Master: No Device" (disregard this error)
"Serial_Ch02 Master: No Device" (disregard this error)
"CMOS Checksum, Bad" (I can't find "Load optomized settings" in my bios, anyone have any idea where it might be?)
"CPU Fan Error" (Why am I getting this? Fan seems to be working fine)
"No drive attatched to FastTrack controller, no BIOS installed" (should I disregard this error too?)

Also, just things I've seen so far, my RAM & Processor seem to be getting detected because they are being displayed correctly, and my fan is spinning and displays the temperature so I do not know why I keep getting that error either.

I have a lot of little 1-pin cables (of many colors) labled such as +5v and GRND and D- and such that I do not have plugged in and are coming right from the case (where I go to turn my computer on) because I do not see where that they would go and nowhere in my manual am I finding where to plug them. I also have two cables with the white plastic covering at the end to connect them, I am not sure what you call those, but one is labled P6, and that is not plugged in, if it makes a difference.

These cables that come from your case are for USB, LED's that show your system is on and when your hard drive is accessed, wires for the power on button and reset button. They should be clearly marked and they will go on the plugs an the lower left (on the image of the MB at ASUS site). Remeber that for LEDs, it matters which direction you plug it in.

Until we keep the bios steady I want you to have the following plugged into the mother board.

(1) CPU, RAM, and Graphics Card.
(2) the 34 pin ribon cable from your floppy disk
(3) two plugs from your power supply (a rectangular plug which is your main power source, and a square 4 pin plug that is a 12V shource - added to new systems for stability purposes).
(4) A two wire plug from your case for your power button.
(5) The wire from your CPU fan to your Motherboard.
(6) The mini molex connectr form the power supply to your floppy disk.

Nothing else should be plugged into your computer until we can get this setup working. Also, donwload the "ultimate boot (floppy) disk" from http://www.softlookup.com/download.asp?ID=26156&DID=4J58YURT on a different computer and make a bootable floppy disk. Once you get the CPU fan BIOS error and CMOS checksum figured out, we will go to the next step and boot a simple OS from the disk.

If you have the BIOS I think, use your arrow keys and go to the "exit" menu. You should see an option "load setup defaults". DO it and then save and exit. Let me know what happens from there.

I think this is an issue of a corrupted BIOS on the a8v.
Sometimes you can get past the errors, sometimes you cannot.

See if it will boot right after you reset the CMOS. If it can, grab the new a8v bios and flash it.

And about the CPU fan, you probolly dont have the RPM connector attatched to the motherboard.

randmoly let me in, boot me out, and not let me in again, I don't understand why.

Nothing is ever "random". IF something is happening it has a reason. You could have just knocked a plug loose while working on the system. It happens to us all. As for getting into the BIOS and your system shutting down, this goes back to the CPU fan and Temp of your CPU.

After you preform the steps above, let's go to your system monitor and watch it. What's the CPU temp? Does it go up and then your system boots you out. Modern BIOS will shut down your system if it thinks it is in danger from heat. IF your fan RPM is too low or your CPU temp is too high, it will do a safety shutdown.

"CPU Fan Error"

I checked out the docs on your motherboard. There are three MB connecters for fans. The CPU fan should be plugged into the connector at the edge of the board next to memory slots. The other two are for case fans. Make sure you have the CPU fan in the correct plug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom