Random Shutdowns

Status
Not open for further replies.

JesseLucy23

Solid State Member
I don't know if it is two separate issues or one in the same. Every once in a while when my computer is on it will randomly have a wind up sound and it tempoarily slows down quite a bit, it only last a few seconds then it is buisness as usual. It actually sounds like the sound when my computer starts up. The other thing is my computer will just randomly turn off, the funny thing is, is my power LED will still remain on everything else is off. I have gone through everything i can think of from cleaning the heck out of the inside ie(dust) to cecking every connetion, to making sure its not grounding out to the case (the mobo). If anyone has any ideas PLEASE!!!! let me know this is making me very angry!! Oh yeah almost forgot, please dont say its a heating issue, it constantly is running a temp which is fine.

Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (333FSB)
1G of G.E.T. AE25D1284T-6 PC2700 DDR
40G Western Digital HD
80G Western Digital HD
400w ATX Power Supply
ATI Radeon 9200 128MB RAM

The 'wind up' sound you can hear is most likely the hard drive spinning up. When there is a period of inactivity, most systems will power down the hard drives. When the drive is required again, it will spin up so it can be read & written to. This is perfectly normal & nothing to worry about.

When you say the computer randomly turns off except for power light, does it turn off while you are literally in the middle of doing something on it (eg typing or surfing the net etc) or not?
If it only happens while you are not doing anything on it, then it sounds like its simply going to sleep, which is perfectly normal.

In reply to your question about system randamly shutting down, i am assuming you dont have your power settings in your control panel to turn off hard disk or hibernate. I have had a similar prob when I would load a program or game my pc would shut down, or crash, this turned out to be a bad power suply, as far as the whining drive, Im not to sure about that

It's shutting off completely right in the middle of me actively using the computer and it'll sometimes do it as it is booting up, just after the windows splash screen. I have tried a different power supply with it quite a while back and I seem to remember it doing exactly the same thing, the power supply being new. However, it will sometmes have one long continuous beep when it just *POOFS* off. When I looked online at the beep codes on Soyo's page it said it could be a faulty power supply, but why would it do it only 1 out of every 5 times and with a brand new power supply that I had previously tested in it. Maybe I just got unlucky and have to near failing power supplies.
Maybe this would shed some light also. When I try playing games on it the monitor will turn off. I have the latest drivers from ATI, but it has also done this previously with previous releases of the driver.
I do have a Soyo TechAid being shipped so hopefully if something is failing it will be able to identify it.
Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.

That definetly sounds to me like a power issue, maybe try pluging your pc into a differnt plug in the house, or try to see if its somthing like the power cord or surge protector or somthing, if this dont work, back to the ps. I am not sure if there is a easy way to test the ps or not, but I think it is your problem

I really don't think it is the outlet or the surge protector that I have simply because I have used different of each. I do have a new power supply on its' way, so hopefully if it is a faulty PSU it will correct the problem. I also have a PCI diagnostic card coming also, maybe that will shed some light. Thanks again for replying.

I agree, it sounds like a psu prob, yet it could very well also be a harddrive issue. Some harddrives tend to phreak overtime, and this can cause your sys to crash, if the os cant access a critical file (windows needs a .bin file, and your harddrive decides to stop, what happens? sys shutdown!)

This may sound like I am a complete idiot but, I have the Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus v1.0, not the Soyo KT-600 Dragon Plus. With that being said there is not much difference between them except the Dragon Plus has two Firewire IEEE 1394 (pin-header) ports and what I think is the obvious reason !!TWO DIFFERENT BIOS UPDATES!! I had the Dragon Plus latest bios, not the one for the v1.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom