videocard question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bumpkins

Solid State Member
ok i hear PCI express is faster than AGP. if this is true than would a 256mb AGP video card be better than a 128 PCI express card? or the other way around? if anyone can help me look for a budget friendly card that can handle counter-strike source, halflife 2, DOOM3 or some equivilent high-end game.

possible cards
-Geforce FX 5700OC 256MB, DDR, VGA, DVI, S-video out.
FEATURES- GeForce FX5700 OC (OverClocked) AGP 256MB
DDR GeForce FX5700 OC Graphics Processing Unit with VGA,
S-Video port and DVI ports.

Gigabyte GeForce PCX5750 128MB Video Card
General Features:
Turbo Force Edition
NVidia GeForce PCX 5750 chipset
128 MB DDR SDRAM
PCI Express 16x interface
Maximum Resolution: 2048X1536@85Hz
550 MHz memory clock
Dual 350MHz RAMDAC
Ultra Shadow Technology
CineFX 2.0 Engine
Intellisample Technology
nView Multi-display Technology

Connectors:
Standard 15-pin VGA
S-Video out
DVI

ok forget about the motherboard just compare the video cards for me. cuz im going to upgrade my computer and the mb i get depends on which video card i want to get so i just want to know which card is better

AGP Cards are wonderfull, I can say that much, they are very efficient, and can produce stunning graphics (especially the radeon 9800). But, the advantage that the PCI express has over the AGP is that AGP= about 3 gb/sec. whereas PCIexpress= about 8 gb/sec. or more. This can vary though, depending on the speed of your port.

If you're gonna get a new mobo, then you might as well get one that supports PCIX. It's not only the graphics card slot that you get PCIX with, you also get some PCIX x1 slots for future upgrades.

Elbatrop1 said:
Well, if you are still planning on using the motherboard in your sig, then you don't have a choice but to use an AGP card.

As for a budget card that plays high-end games, then maybe check out an ATi Radeon 9800 Pro. It benchmarks higher than the 5700 Ultra. I've been finding them locally for about $260 CAD.

http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20041004/vga_charts-07.html

If your gonna get a 9800 Pro, get a 6600GT (non xfx) as their are 250-270 and much better.

pci = i would take em out and throw it on the grill but i cant cuz i have some stuff plugged in there but agp is better then pci, pci is only made so that u can plug the other stuff ni there like sound card tv tuners etc... agp is made for the video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom