Home Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrm...is creating a home network still accomplishable without a router? I have 2 computers (1 downstairs and another one upstairs). The computer upstairs is hooked up to the cable modem through an RJ-45 socket, though the NIC also includes RJ-11 sockets. I've tried to plug the RJ-11 sockets to both of the NIC's in both of my computers, but it doesn't appear to be working. Any special software required for this type of configuration? NIC is a Davicom 9102 10/100 PCI.

Hrm...is creating a home network still accomplishable without a router? I have 2 computers (1 downstairs and another one upstairs). The computer upstairs is hooked up to the cable modem through an RJ-45 socket, though the NIC also includes RJ-11 sockets. I've tried to plug the RJ-11 sockets to both of the NIC's in both of my computers, but it doesn't appear to be working. Any special software required for this type of configuration? NIC is a Davicom 9102 10/100 PCI.

Do you have 2 NICS in the PC that the cable modem is attached to? It is posible to set up the network without a router (like shown in the pictures) but then the PC with the cable modem will need to route traffic if you want to use the internet of both PC's. What OS have you got installed?

Do you have 2 NICS in the PC that the cable modem is attached to? It is posible to set up the network without a router (like shown in the pictures) but then the PC with the cable modem will need to route traffic if you want to use the internet of both PC's. What OS have you got installed?

Heh heh...NM...found out that the RJ-45 and RJ-11 sockets couldn't be used simultaneously.

Both of my machines have NIC's installed (same model/manufacturer)

I currently run Win98 (the computer the cable modem is attached to) and WinXP Pro (client).

Current setup:

Internet > Cable modem > 5-Port hub > NIC > Primary machine ---> Hub > NIC > Secondary machine

I've used the Internet connection sharing software before with Win98 SE...but it never seemed to work for me. :(

Looks like I may have to run a proxy on this machine to get a connection to the other. But in the meantime I might have to purchase some more cables to get this going.

Heh heh...NM...found out that the RJ-45 and RJ-11 sockets couldn't be used simultaneously.

Both of my machines have NIC's installed (same model/manufacturer)

I currently run Win98 (the computer the cable modem is attached to) and WinXP Pro (client).

Current setup:

Internet > Cable modem > 5-Port hub > NIC > Primary machine ---> Hub > NIC > Secondary machine

I've used the Internet connection sharing software before with Win98 SE...but it never seemed to work for me. :(

Looks like I may have to run a proxy on this machine to get a connection to the other. But in the meantime I might have to purchase some more cables to get this going.

A couple of questions:

Without a router, and one pc hooked via hub to primary pc which is hooked to cable, is a firewall necessary for both pc's or just the primary?

I can get a Linksys router, 3comm hub, and 2 ethernet cards (including the CAT5 cable) for around $200US. Does that seem reasonable? Hmm, I forgot that most of us have different currencies......well......multiply be the x factor to equate.....

A couple of questions:

Without a router, and one pc hooked via hub to primary pc which is hooked to cable, is a firewall necessary for both pc's or just the primary?

I can get a Linksys router, 3comm hub, and 2 ethernet cards (including the CAT5 cable) for around $200US. Does that seem reasonable? Hmm, I forgot that most of us have different currencies......well......multiply be the x factor to equate.....

It isn't nessesary to have a firewall on each PC unless you are forwarding ports to computers other than the one with the cable modem attached to it.

How ever if you are bothered about watch applications can connect to the internet etc then I would recomend that you install ZoneAlarm on all your computers.

It isn't nessesary to have a firewall on each PC unless you are forwarding ports to computers other than the one with the cable modem attached to it.

How ever if you are bothered about watch applications can connect to the internet etc then I would recomend that you install ZoneAlarm on all your computers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom