how do you reset the cmos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is a jumper by the bios on the mobo. change the jumper, turn the computer on, wait a sec or 2, shut the machine off, then replace it back to where it was.

another way to do it, is to take a screwdriver, and find the jumper for the bios, if you see two small metal contacts next to the bios, touch them with the screwdriver. The jumper is the most common though just switch the jumper, wait, and switch it back. One more way, although kind of dangerous, is to remove the cmos battery, (the huge watch battery on your mobo). take it out for about 15 minutes, make sure your static discharged, and place it back in. When you boot, it should make a beeping noise, and the CMOS will be reset! Eureka!

Get a crowbar. Put the crowbar beside the computer, reach in, take the battery out with your fingers, look at it for a few minutes, then put it back in.

CMOS reset.

Has anybody blown a mobo because they reset the cmos without removing the ac power? about 4 years ago, i had an asus board, i didnt disconnect it from the wall... i cleared the cmos, right when i pout the jumper in to clear it, the pc turned on and i heard somethin pop lol. I learned real quick to disconnect the ac power

well i never disconnect my pc ohh i never even turn off the pc when i remove any pci cards ... .. and i did blow a mobo once but it was not the pci card or the jumper i was i moved the whole board while the pc was on crazy huh lolz..... and one more thing now about the reset stuff... well yeah there is a way of removing the battery but beside leaving it for 15teen hell minutes jus shut the power from the switch... and the other way i think hmm well there is a jumper switch you could find near the battery it will have three pins keep the default position in mind remove the jumper and then turn the power on... and i think if you want to recall your bios put it in the other jumper position like the default is 1 and 2 the put the jumper in 2 and 3. ...

I'm paranoid, I always unplug my computer and turn off the power supply when I'm switching stuff out. Friend from work tried to put in a wireless NIC while his plug was in and the green led on the mobo was still on. He said it made a loud pop and wanted me to look at it. I'm thinking the mobo was fried. Anyways my BIOS was reset when I moved my hardware over to my new computer case, it happened when I unplugged the ATX cable from power supply to mobo, that seemed to reset it.

It's standard practice to disconnect the power before opening the case to do repairs/maintenance.

So, no, I haven't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom