Why should someone go with a 939 over a 754?

Status
Not open for further replies.
charles_scott said:
I have a 754 and the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ OCed to around a 3200+ and i have yet see it break 115F with my room sitting at 90F while the system was under a very heavy load... Currently its at 89F and the room temp is at 80F. So if them winchester chips work cooler how much cooler do you think it can go in my current setup? lol

they'll run very cool, some under 30C even overclocked with a nice aftermarket cooler. If you have good airflow and low temps like you do then a few C shouldn't matter.

My personal opinion is about the same as others here. I would not get a 754, they lack DC support, and from what i am seeing they are going to be dropped alot sooner than the 939's. They seem to run a little hotter, and there overall performance seems to be somewhat lower than a good 939 setup with say matched RAM and gfx and all that.

If they can get a Mobile 64 onto a 939 setup i'll be sold lol...but right now i'd have to choose a desktop 939 over a Mobile 754 simply because of DC, upgradability, and they still overclock very well on a $40 cooler and decent room temps.

I'm a fool; don't listen to me, but doesn't Socket 939 support dual core processors? But all of a sudden i'm not so sure because i haven't seen it mentioned at all in this thread.

I'm a fool; don't listen to me, but doesn't Socket 939 support dual core processors? But all of a sudden i'm not so sure because i haven't seen it mentioned at all in this thread.
AMD has planned to release dual core processors on socket 939, currently holding the names San Diego and Toledo. These are expected within the next year.

Almost all the new AMDs (64 bit ones) have socket 939. And Selection is limited because everyone wants them.
Sry. i posted to the wrong thread.

charles_scott said:
Kinda sad i just built my system and its soon gonna be nothing :( Oh well thats what i get when i dont do my research.

go by your standards...i would imagine if you don't usually upgrade like every week like some people..and you enjoy playing games for a good long time...your PC should last YOU a very long time. a 754 system with better than crap hardware is still better than my computer lol...well overclocked it should beat a 2.6GHz Barton.

^ nah, there is nothing wrong with the 754... if your sysrem works well and the specs are nice and high then you have no problems!

It just means that in the future (a few years) you may need to get a new motherboard when you upgrade... but so what, I always change my mobo when I upgrade my processor... i mean there will prolly be a better chipset than nForce 4 when I upgrade, so I will prolly get a new mobo even if the chips in a few years are still 939.

But you have no need to feel your machine sucks ore is inferior or anything... its a 64bit proc... thats awesome... the end!

mine is overclocked to the max, it runs great except when my ram gets low or when my HDD mess's up again, and i play the same games over and over.

i've got a 754 and no complaints at all. espeically with coolin'.....
though i'm sure 939's are better.
my mobo supports the 3500+ 754 or whatever the highest is....so if i need more power....i'll just throw it in...well....you know what i mean.
i bought my 754 when they were noticablly cheaper than the 939's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom