Windows XP black screen of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

brock_hutch

Beta member
A bit confused...

I'm used to the Blue screen of death on NT, but not the black screen on XP. I re-booted the machine after a windows security update and I got a black screen. I gave is a while figuring it was still initializing the new settings. Nothing happend so I rebooted in safe mode and used the sys recovery back to one day prior to the update.

I reboot and I get the windows splash logo, then just a mouse on a black screen. The mouse will move too. I tried to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE to try to start "explorer" but there is no response. I reboot once again in safe mode and I get the same thing.

Plus I tried the recovery console, but I can not remember the admin password..!!

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Hutch

did you hit enter after it askes you for the password? If there is no password set, you just hit enter....

Password

Yeah, I tried just enter, and a couple of other things. I'm actually looking at this PC for a friend. He was very perplexed when I asked him for a password.

Hutch

You need to get a copy of ERD Commander...It will do a system check for you and replace any bad/corrupt/missing files. Check your pm..

I did some research on this issue:

SYMPTOMS
When you attempt to log on to Recovery Console in Windows XP by typing the correct password for the local Administrator account, Recovery Console may display the following error message:
The password is not valid. Please retype the password.
Type the Administrator password:
This error message may occur even though you typed the correct password. If you start Windows XP, successfully log on by using the same password, change the local administrator's password, and restart the computer to Recovery Console, you receive the same error message.
CAUSE
This issue may occur if Windows XP was originally installed from a Sysprep image, or if Sysprep 2.0 was run on the computer at one time. Sysprep.exe makes changes to the way that password keys are stored in the registry; these changes are not compatible with the Recovery Console logon routine.

Note that the manufacturer of your computer may have used Sysprep to preinstall Windows XP on your computer.

>>> I had a utility that set the password blank, but no luck. I also read on microsofts website that a solution would be to install a patch that you have to call them and pay for. I couldn't find it anywhere.

All I need to do is:

c:\del boot.ini
c:\fixboot

Do I have to do this in the recovery console? Can't I do it another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom