Why should someone go with a 939 over a 754?

Status
Not open for further replies.
AZNRockThis said:
check newegg.com just about every case dual is cheaper than single
newegg.com would be getting my business if I was living over there.
Besides, why pay retail price when I can get directly off distributors instead.

KINGSTON Memory was doing these DUAL RAM packs, but they were not that much cheaper.

Alex81388 said:
939 is just a better buy, and it isn't much more expensive.

Watch it, that that $4 between the price of a AMD ATHLON 64 3200 SKT 754 and AMD ATHLON 64 3200 SKT 939 could buy part of a MacDonald's Meal. So to some people it might be big deal

DC doesn't offer as big as boost as some might think. I've seen it range between 5%-20%

Socket 754 from the way I gather it won't just simply be dropping like also people seem to think.

The AMD64-Mobiles are Socket 754 and unless they decide to move the mobiles to Socket 939 (which I hope because then I will be getting a 64-mobile and OC'ing that baby) then socket 754 will be around. Hell maybe even down the road they'll throw dual channel capabilities in it, but I'm much rather have the mobiles cross over to socket 939 and they drop 754 altogether

Where does it say that I was angry. I am not angry, just stating my opinion also. I am sorry if it sounded that way. In 3 years when my warranties run out I bet there will be something ready to replace 939 is all I am saying. You guys have been around the block long enough to know that will probably happen. I again am sorry if I sounded angry but usually people type with CAPITALS to show that..:) See I am smiling. Also, go to New Egg, to ZipZoomFly, Mwave and Tiger. The choice is just not there for 939. I can't find the one I want because they are all out of stock.

939 boards allow you to use the winchester core Athlon 64 processors... these run a lot cooler than the newcastle core ones and are better for over clocking

I have 939 and I get a good increase from using dual channel and would say that 939 is definatly worth getting over the 754

Ok, so I chose 939. What is a good board and where should I get it? Selection is limited as many are out of stock of the brands and models I like.

So if I go 939 I am looking at these boards.
Chaintech VNF4 Ultra zenith
Gigabyte GA-K8NF-9
Asus A8V Deluxe

Socket 939 is the way to go for so many reasons, I recommend an Abit AV8 3rd Eye over the above three motherboards.

Socket 754 is simply a dead cause, it was basically a stepping stone for the 64 bit processors, and AMD has moved on to bigger and better things.

Yes, you can argue that mobile Athlon 64s still use socket 754, but there are only two mobile 64s released at the moment I believe so it is difficult to say, and I wouldn't see why AMD wouldn't migrate the mobiles to 939. The cool 90nm cores on socket 939 would no doubt benefit an already cooler running processor.

A dual core Athlon 64 mobile sounds very appealing right now, I may hold off my purchases and see how the market shapes up over the next few months.

hygor said:
939 boards allow you to use the winchester core Athlon 64 processors... these run a lot cooler than the newcastle core ones and are better for over clocking

I have 939 and I get a good increase from using dual channel and would say that 939 is definatly worth getting over the 754

I have a 754 and the AMD Athlon 64 2800+ OCed to around a 3200+ and i have yet see it break 115F with my room sitting at 90F while the system was under a very heavy load... Currently its at 89F and the room temp is at 80F. So if them winchester chips work cooler how much cooler do you think it can go in my current setup? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom