About Centrino...

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to devise a license for PC's. One that says whether you are allowed to use it, modify/build or both.

Could be entertaining.

I knew absolutely nothing of Centrinos until about a month ago when a replaced my new AMD 3000+ Laptop because I was a bit disappointed with the overall setup of it.

I am now quite satisfied with my Centrino, it does remarkably resemble AMD architechture from what I understand, and it's actually quite a nifty little machine. The Centrino will actually run at a certain temperature without any fans spinning, and I mean none. Once it reaches a certain temperature, which I believe is over 50 degrees, the fan will kick in and cool down the processor. I was pretty impressed with this little technology Intel rigged up.

I thought centrino was nothing more than a bundle of certain features in order to be centrino certified.

My amd 2800 2.8 ghz system beats any centrino processor
We where just making fun of ppl who called them centrino processors. Ounce again they are NOT processors. Centrino is a technology based on the AMD cpu put into an intel processor. :beard: But i heard it worx quite well in any lappy so i wouldnt mind having at least 1 intel in the house.:confused:

almach1 said:
I thought centrino was nothing more than a bundle of certain features in order to be centrino certified.

That's exactly what it is, a Pentium M, an Intel Pro/Wireless chip for 802.11 Wi-Fi, and a certain chipset. I wouldn't refer to it as "nothing more than" though...

DJ-CHRIS said:
What about the dothan core "centrino's"

http://reviews.zdnet.co.uk/hardware/processorsmemory/0,39024015,39154053,00.htm

These are a completly different chip and max out at 2.0ghz. Different from pentium 4 mobiles and these chips resemble the AMD artechture more than the p4.

DJ-CHRIS, please read a bit more carefully!

Note the first words of the article, "The latest Pentium M processor from Intel improves on the Banias core..."

Dothan is a core of Pentium M chips...

^^^ It's still a different core making it a completly new processor. However some centrino's i believe are also just p4's.

Also if a 2800+ (could even be a 64 bit as well) was running at 2.8 ghz, it would be running ahead of or with the fx-55.

The 2800 is only like an 1.6 ghz CPU i think.

yea so somebody is either lying or didnt know what he/she was talking about. I could run my 2600+ (watercooling mind you) that fast but still not outperform my dads FX-55! Besides a 64bit cpu could outperform Socket A.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom