Abit NF7-M Sound Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenkins2

Beta member
Alright, this is the first system I've built from scratch...and I can't get the onboard sound to work! One of the main reasons I got this motherboard was the combination onboard audio and video. I'm at college so I've had NUMEROUS people play around with drivers, etc. to get it to work, and still nothing, here's my setup...

Abit NF7-M motherboard
Athlon XP 2500+ Barton
Maxtor 120 GB HDD
Crucial 512MB PC2700
Logitech Z-640 5.1 Speakers
Windows XP Pro

I'm not hooked up to the campus network yet, so I haven't installed theu pdated bios yet...but would that cause the sound not to work?

I tried regular desktop speakers also, which didn't work, so I know its not the speakers. Onscreen the sound plays, and all the drivers seem to be installed correctly, and digitally signed, etc.

I had the front case line-in, line-out, and mics connected and tried plugging my speakers into them to test, and it works! So I figured maybe since I had them connected it was misdirecting all my sound to those ports. Unplugged all those connections and still nothing out the back!

Gr, I'm so frustrated, I need my music (not being wired to the internet yet isn't helping)!! I'm about to resort to my iMac :-o !

Anything ideas, suggestions, fixes? I've searched everywhere and can't find a thing about this....should I just scratch everything and try to start over? I've got basically nothing on the hard drive yet...

jenkins2 said:

I'm not hooked up to the campus network yet, so I haven't installed theu pdated bios yet...but would that cause the sound not to work?

/B]

Very well could be the case. Plus, keep in mind that your chipset usually controlls that. So make sure that you have the latest drivers for that too. (did you install those off the CD that came with it?)

Example, My A7N8X-Delux comes with the Nforce2 chipset. Which controls the audio, among other things. So I would need to ensure I have the latest drivers for my Nforce2 chipset to keep my sytem running at top notch shape.

i know you probably checked, but are you sure that in your volume controls something is not muted perhaps? or just turned down real lowthat u mihgt think would not ahve an affect onit?

yeah i checked the volume levels and what not, i just got internet, whu-who! so i'm off to work on updating the bios and what not, i'll keep you updated, thanks for responding so far...

Alright, scratch that idea...bios and drivers all updated...still no sound :O( any other suggestions, besides buying a sound card, heh?

Yeah Realtek drivers *sort of* did the trick...i'm getting sound out of my rear, sub, and center speakers...but it's such poor quality. I'm thinking of returning the board. I didn't get 6-channel audio not to use it. Any other suggestions...thanks so far, heh.

I've learned ALOT about computers in the past week.

I'm not audio expert but it just doesn't sound clear, distorted i guess? If played at any volume it just sounds like crap. The speakers were all playing the wrong sounds initially... i.e. the subwoofer and centers were playing sounds meant for the rear speakers...so i switched the orange and black cables and they work correctly...still nothing at all coming from the front two speakers. hmmm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom