wireless internet on my laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

foreverxyoung

In Runtime
hey guys, i just bought a new inspiron 5160 laptop and i ordered SBC global dsl. I also purchased a netgear wireless router and i was wondering how can i get wireless internet ie. in my car or at my friends house without any wires attached to my laptop. Im new to laptops so i need like full proof strategies and tips and hints. Totally apreciated, thanks guys.

well, you can only get access to your router when you're in range of it (depending on whether it is a 802.11b/g router). It is a possiblity though, that you can find wireless hotspots, try looking into a hotspot finder keychain! these can be very usefull. Other than that, you will have to be near a wireless connection to use your wireless capabilities.

Tapping unsecured wireless networks is not illegal, i think. Tapping secured/encrypted is.
You have a bad idea of what wireless networks are. They only extend to a 50 m radius; like the size of a house. They will not reach to your friend's house; they might reach your car; only if your car's parked at your house. ^^
Finding hotspots and useing your friend's network is your best bet for using your laptop's capalities outside of your house.

Umm i have had some cheap routers reach 300ish meters.

And yes connecting to even an unsecured wireless router that does not belong to you (and is not public) is illegal

Quote: And yes connecting to even an unsecured wireless router that does not belong to you (and is not public) is illegal
My apologies, DJ-CHRIS. I've a) never tried and b) gotten sued for it.

Yes, there are access points that advertise 200+ ranges. I don't know how well they work. So, you can use you're wirless network at friends houses as long as they are only 300 meters or less away. -_-

well, you can only get access to your router when you're in range of it (depending on whether it is a 802.11b/g router). It is a possiblity though, that you can find wireless hotspots, try looking into a hotspot finder keychain! these can be very usefull. Other than that, you will have to be near a wireless connection to use your wireless capabilities.
Any idea wherer I can get a hotspot finder keychain? That sounds useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom