turning my comp on for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Effex

In Runtime
i built this comp from scratch and now have everything assembled. this is the first comp i ever built so i would appreciate if you guys could list some steps that i need to take and in what order

hmmmmmmmm press button, raise hands slightly in air, wait for beep, if no beep place hands over face and say "what have I done". If beep continue holding that position, wait a moment, if a screen comes on raise hands above your head and say "success!", if not place hands over face and say "what have I done?"

ok I'm being a smart ass, but heres what you do double check everything one last time before you throw the power to it. The hit the button, and hopefully it'll beep once and goto the memory test screen, where it will tell you to hit del(or some other key) to go into the bios. Go into the bios, change the boot sequence to read the cddrive first, put your winxp disk in the cddrive, then save and exit. Then if all goes well xp setup will start and you'll have to partition and format the drive. At some point in the setup it will want to reboot, change the boot sequence back to the Harddrive, save and exit, and let xp setup continue.

Thats a greatly shortened version, but its not too complex. Unless your installing on sata drives, then you first have to make a floppy with the sata drivers supplied with your motherboard

it isnt detecting my sata hd, so it cant install winxp.

i double checked all the wire connections and they are tight. the hd has 3 wires to it(2 of em coming from the psu), why would it have a 4pin and a custom connector for the hd

i have the sata drivers on a floppy btw

You may need to go into the BIOS and enable the connections for your SATA drives. My board came with the onboard componets disabled, like the Audio and Network...

When you are first entered into the Blue windows setup screen, hit F6, (JUST KEEP SLAMMING IT !) because the option is displayed QUICK. After you hit F6, and everything is finished being loaded, you will be prompted to intall disk drivers. Go through the prompts, insert your Floppy that came with the MB (to hold the SATA HD Drivers) and windows will look to it.

i hit f6 repeatedly as soon as the blue screen appeared and during the prompt and it fails to recognize that, f6 works too...i tested it in the BIOS. it finished loading and still didnt prompt anything...

wtfh?

If you bought your HD retail, it probably came with drivers on a boot disk. Throw that in there, format the disk to your liking, then install the drivers according to the disk instructions. If you didn't buy the drive retail, look online, the company may have posted an iso of it or something.

About F6 and windows: The option is there. I have seen it on my old XP Home disk. Keep trying, at least once more before you try the HD disk, if you have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom