My monitor moves!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Most POSTs are hardcoded to run at basic resolutions during setup. Usually 640 or 800. You're going to see a shift in the monitor from startup to desktop because of this, especially with old monitors.

2. If you're noticing a shift in the desktop screen, after all the boot n' stuff is over, then your monitor is definately about to FO&D.

3. Turning up your monitor brightness to get rid of shadows in a game is not only bad for your monitor, but is considered a mild form of cheating and ruins the in-game experience.

ekÆsine said:
I agree with ShoobieRat. I think it's starting to fail. Some monitors I've used had this problem.

But he said the monitor doesn't have a problem with his old PC. It really just sounds like a timing problem between card and monitor. Is the Monitor Plug-n-Pray?

If you can't get the BIOS screen to show fully, I don't think there is anything you can do except get a new monitor. YOu might try setting your BIOS by using the old graphics card in the new computer.

Once in windows, you can tinker around with the settings and the monitor driver to reposition the screen on an old monitor. It's really just trial and error at that point. I had an encounteran old monitor with no OSD and no windows driver. So I just started picking monitor drivers until I found one that worked.

Trifid said:
I have my monitor quite bright, as it does help a bit in counter strike source when it is dark, so you can see the opposition.

Counter strike has both a gama correction and brightness settings that should help your game play without adjusting the monitor.

Yeah. Jesus Christ, if yer gonna fork out for a plasma monitor (which'll give you a two year ride) you might as well burn all your money on the 21" or sell your soul for a 28"

Hey I got an 18" for 280.00 Off brand I haven't heard of; "Techsan" but it works real nice to me... :) and 19's are getting cheaper by the day... And besides... My next one(s) are 2 19's ;)

I'm not talking about standard LCD's. I'm talking about those stupid new plasma TV/monitors that are half a soul for half the screen.

I dont have the money for a new monitor :( And I sold my soul for this pc. The devil will get my soul as soon as I put the last piece in, erm... the frount usb's on my case. (I couldnt be bothered with them, too fidgety for my liking) << the only thing I could think of that I havent done yet.

Before I shut down tonight, im going to adjust the monitor, so it is a small square in the middle of the screen. When I boot up im hoping windows will adjust it at start up, and then I can carry on adjusting for the rest of my life. Or until I can afford 2 nice 19" CRT's

Trifid said:

Before I shut down tonight, im going to adjust the monitor, so it is a small square in the middle of the screen. When I boot up im hoping windows will adjust it at start up, and then I can carry on adjusting for the rest of my life. Or until I can afford 2 nice 19" CRT's

Won't work. As long as your happy with the settings while running windows, it doesn't matter what happens during the boot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom