3 Harddrives!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrimReaper23

Fully Optimized
Simply! How do you do it? Is it possible?I'm positivly sure it's possible. so can you all help me plz. O and I'm new to the forums.;)

set 1 to master with another as the slave (make sure you set the right master, some hd's have a master and a master w/ slave present for the jumpers)...put those on the first ide
use the other one as a slave on the second ide

It's easy to connect, but a pain in the neck to fit in a case... unless you have one dangling out.... or unless you have a really good case... which I don't. So that's why I wasn't able to fit 3 in mine I guess..... lol.

CntdwnToExtn post is correct of IDE harddrives.

Although you didn't say what type. If they are 3 SATA harddrives you could buy a RAID CONTROLLER CARD (PCI) and set your self up a nice RAID 0,1 - 0/1 or RAID 5

I have 4 Harddrives and a motherboard with 4 SATA interfaces. My motherboard also has intergrated RAID support.

XP PRO - Operating system 1
2 (WD Raptor 74gig @10000rpm) RAID 0
1 (WD 250gig @7200rpm) Addtional Storage

XP PRO - Operating system 2
1 (WD 250gig @7200rpm)
Also recognizes other additional storage HDD

If anything happens to my 2 raptors and I lose everything. Unsafe in RAID 0 but FAST. The I can boot to my second operating system on 4th HDD. Very handy set up.

ok so give me a example of what I would do if i would went out and buy a 3rd harddrive? Will I have to buy another motherboard? My case has 3 slots for hdd's. I heard that if you download a program or something then Windows will recognize it as 1 hdd and the rpm increases

GrimReaper23 said:
ok so give me a example of what I would do if i would went out and buy a 3rd harddrive? Will I have to buy another motherboard? My case has 3 slots for hdd's. I heard that if you download a program or something then Windows will recognize it as 1 hdd and the rpm increases

that's called raid, and it's not a program you can download, nor does it increase the rpm. when installing windows if you want to install raid then you should install the drivers for it during the installation. i'm not exactly sure since i haven't personally installed raid, even though i have 2 drives.

I dont think he is looking to do RAID. he is looking to connect 3 drives and have it show up as one big one. what you can do is buy an IDE controller card. Plug it into the PCI bus and it will give you 2 more ide connections. You can create a folder on 1 drive and have it be the 3rd drive.

Ur mobo has to have the capacity for 3 drives first off, plus u should figure out if they are SATA or P-ATA. Most likely the latter, just set up master slave configs, and make sure the cable corresponds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom