No POST is driving me crazeee! Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey! Great forum - lots of good advice to work on here. I'm gonna try taking it out of the case tomorrow.

Sorry, PhoSho - I told you I was going crazy! LOL! The PSU's a brand new Antec 450w

idiotec - I tried all those configs.

gaara - I reset the BIOS etc, and I bought new RAM to test with., and bought new fans, too.

Thanks, everyone. I'll get back to you all later... unless I wake up in a second and it's all been a sick dream!!!

PETE

idiotec said:
Let me see if I understand:

PSU - New
Mobo - New
CPU - New
RAM - Old
GPU - Old

That should be all you need to POST right? (someone correct me if I'm Wrong)

I would think it would be down between the GPU and RAM. Try putting in ONE stick of known good RAM and one known good video card into the all new CPU, mobo and PSU and see what happens.

Hi, idiotec - Almost right: RAM is new, too. GPU defintely OK.

I just took everything out of the case on an antistatic mat, etc, hooked up the new Antec PSU, GRU, stick of new RAM, and... NO DAMN POST!!.

Someone please put me out of my misery, and bury me deep!!! Aaaaaaaaargh!!! :mad:

gaara said:
Also try flashing the BIOS and CMOS.

I am almost willing to bet the problem is your RAM however, bad memory can seriously screw up your computer boot sequence.

The only other possibility I can think of is a heat problem. Question: Does the machine power on and stay on, or power on briefly and quickly shut down again? And you are recieving absolutely no error beeps?

Basically, I would remove everything except for the CPU and motherboard, and try powering those up. See if you can pinpoint the problem as specifically as possible.

This is a toughy though.

Hi, gaara - Yes, I flashed BIOS & CMOS. Heat's not an issue, thankfully. PC stays on when powered up. No beeps, except a single, solitary beep when I've held the power button in for seven secs or so.

Have isolated mobo from the case to test for shorts this afternoon, and still no post. It's crazy! :eek:

I bought some new RAM specifically to test with this new mobo, btw

test the new PSU on another computer, the PSU can prolly be tested on anything not socket A right?

if that is good, it sounds like your left with having to RMA the new motherbourd. once u get the new bourd back see if it posts. if it doesnt that would either be horrribly unlucky or your computer has a personal vendeta gainst u and will never post again.(maybe unless u do a public appology and beg for forgiveness to the grandmabourd for what ever you did)lol jk

EDIT: i dont know were u'v been testing it, but just for the hell of it u might ass well also test it ona different wall outlet.

jolancer said:
test the new PSU on another computer, the PSU can prolly be tested on anything not socket A right?

if that is good, it sounds like your left with having to RMA the new motherbourd. once u get the new bourd back see if it posts. if it doesnt that would either be horrribly unlucky or your computer has a personal vendeta gainst u and will never post again.(maybe unless u do a public appology and beg for forgiveness to the grandmabourd for what ever you did)lol jk

EDIT: i dont know were u'v been testing it, but just for the hell of it u might ass well also test it ona different wall outlet.

Hi, Jolancer - I'm the only person I know with a socket A setup, so the only other mobo I can try the new CPU on is the old NF7-S. (I just tried it for the hell of it, and there's no POST there either).

That's what really confuses me - The old mobo and CPU setup goes no POST, so I buy a new CPU and try it in the old mobo. No POST. So I get a new mobo and put the new CPU in, no POST. I try the old CPU in the new mobo. No POST. I've tried all these combinations with a new Antec PSU, new RAM and a definitely working Graphics card. The monitor's fine.

The shop claims the new CPU works (they could be liars, or course), so... what are the odds that the old mobo went awol, and the brand new mobo was faulty out of the box? Is this what I'm looking at?

btw - All the lights come on on both mobos, and there's regulated power going to the fans.

Is it me, or is this just insane?

power going to the motherboards is normal unless they thing is completely fried, but if it doesn't post that still means the mobo or CPU is more than likely at fault here.

I doubt the shop would lie and tell you the CPU works, that wouldn't benefit them. They'd sooner lie and tell you you need to buy a new one from them.

A POST Card might help you, they are like $30 maybe cheaper in some places, but it can generally diagnose the problem for you.

Other than that, it's hard to diagnose without being there, because I'm getting confused on all the parts you have new and old and what combinations you've tried

Yes, the PSU will fit about any other motherboard you can find.

Also, do you get any indication of power flowing to the motherboard? (ie LED's, etc). ( I think you said yes but this whole thread is now confusing). If so, chances are the PSU is fine.

Also, even if you start without ram, the computer should START...but you'll get an annoying beep. See if this happens. Try starting without the video card in, but the ram installed, you should also get a beep. Both of these can help eliminate some problems.

Nubius said:
power going to the motherboards is normal unless they thing is completely fried, but if it doesn't post that still means the mobo or CPU is more than likely at fault here.

I doubt the shop would lie and tell you the CPU works, that wouldn't benefit them. They'd sooner lie and tell you you need to buy a new one from them.

A POST Card might help you, they are like $30 maybe cheaper in some places, but it can generally diagnose the problem for you.

Other than that, it's hard to diagnose without being there, because I'm getting confused on all the parts you have new and old and what combinations you've tried

D'you know... I almost ordered a POST card about a month ago. I guess it would have saved me a lot of agony! Serves me right!!

I've found someone with a working Socket -A setup, and he's letting me try my old and new CPU's in it (Bless his little cotton socks!), so very soon I'll know for sure if it's CPU or Mobo!

Fingers crossed! Here goes...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

HOORAY! A RESULT! LIFE IS GOOOOOOD!

Just checked old and new CPUs in this other socket-A setup, and they both POST. Result!

So... Now I know I've got two dud Mobos, and now I know who to shout at :mad:

I'd like to say a big thanks to everyone who's been helping me out here. It's really, really appreciated :D

PETE

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom