diffrence between SDRAM and DDR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ki9090

In Runtime
As some of you might know from many of my current posts i am working on a laptop, now it has 512mb SDRAM p100. So my question is how does the SDRAM and p100 play a roll in the ram? Will the 512 ram be slower than say p133 or DDR400 ram? Will this take any effect in gaming with my lap top?

And at 1ghz and the 512mb SDRAM p100 and the 64Mb Geforce mx440 Video card do you think it will be able to handel stuff like warcraft 3?

Thanks.

well yeah PC100 would be slower than PC133, the numbers basically tell you that.

DDR RAM is the new standard which is PC2100, PC2700, PC3200 and up. DDR2 is actually out now, but it's not that common yet and really expensive.

1GHz of PC100 and a 64mb GfMX440 is really weak. I wouldn't expect great results on warcraft honestly.

Its really weak. Damn i thought for sure the 512mb ram 1ghz cpu. would run warcraft 3 pretty good, i meen its min requirements are 450mhz and 128ram.

i would think that it would run the game fine, just on a lower graphics setting because of the card...you might be able to get 800x600 with medium settings at the most....though i've never played that game so i don't know how much it hogs the graphics card.

lol I just now noticed I put '1GHz of PC100' I meant 1gb, but I see you meant a 1ghz processor and 512mb of PC100..

Anywho, minimum requirements mean it will basically barely play the game on lowest settings, but it's playable enough.

I haven't played warcraft 3 and no doubt you'll be able to play it, but probably not at it's full glory of course and with a lot of action on the screen I would expect some slow down

SDRAM - Synchronous DRAM (Modules only on one side)
Synchronous means that it's tied to the system clock just like the CPU and the Northbridge. This allows the northbridge to know exactly when the data is ready from the DRAM to give to the CPU. This allows for little wasted time.

EDO or FPM DRAM was Asychronous - The northbridge sent the necessary signal to the DRAM and waited a certain number of clock ticks and then access the DRAM for data. MAKING IT VERY SLOW!

PC100 is SDRAM which operates at 100MHz
PC133 is SDRAM which operates at 133MHz

DDR SDRAM - Double Data Rate Synchronous DRAM (modules on both sides)
Simply put, they operate twice as fast.

Take a PC100 and add another PC100 to the other side and you have a DDR operating at 200Mhz.

But now it's called DDR. Multiply the 200MHz by 8bytes and you get
PC1600

Take a PC133 and add another PC133 to the other side and you have a DDR operating at 266Mhz.

But now it's called a DDR. Multiply the 266Mhz by 8bytes and you get PC2100

You get the idea...

DDR SDRAM is faster then SDRAM operating at up to 400MHz.
PC3200

DDR2 SDRAM is for another post.

I think Warcraft 3 should run ok on your laptop. It used to run ok on my friends computer a Pentium III 800EB with 512MB of SD RAM and an AGP 64MB GeForce 2 MX. I did try to run it with my PC which had the same processor as my friends PC but with only 128MB SD RAM and an AGP 8MB NVIDIA Vanta LT and it ran like crap. Almost Unplayable. So you probably wonÂ’t be able to play in the highest settings but probably in the low to medium settings range.

However this is presuming that when you say 1GHz your referring to a Pentium III, Celeron, Athlon or Duron processor and also when you say 64Mb GeForce MX440 you mean 64MB GeForce 4 MX440.

If you've got a VIA 1GHz processor then you'd have no hope in hell of running this game.

iceware said:
I think Warcraft 3 should run ok on your laptop. It used to run ok on my friends computer a Pentium III 800EB with 512MB of SD RAM and an AGP 64MB GeForce 2 MX. I did try to run it with my PC which had the same processor as my friends PC but with only 128MB SD RAM and an AGP 8MB NVIDIA Vanta LT and it ran like crap. Almost Unplayable. So you probably wonÂ’t be able to play in the highest settings but probably in the low to medium settings range.

However this is presuming that when you say 1GHz your referring to a Pentium III, Celeron, Athlon or Duron processor and also when you say 64Mb GeForce MX440 you mean 64MB GeForce 4 MX440.

If you've got a VIA 1GHz processor then you'd have no hope in hell of running this game.

What is VIA?

Oh i just checked its not a Geforce MX440 its the 4000 and its PCI if that makes any diffrence

VIA is an I.T. company that mainly produces chipsets and processors. VIA processors are very very slow but run allot cooler than any other processor out there. A VIA 1GHz processor is about the same speed as a Pentium III 450MHz. VIA chipsets are crap full stop. I think most will agree when I say that NVIDIA chipsets are the best chipsets around today.

Now about your video card. I think that your video card will only be able to handle the absolute lowest settings in this game. This is mainly because your video card is a PCI version. The PCI (not PCI Express) bus is allot slower than the AGP bus. Thus making your video card very slow. Put simply I wouldn't expect much performance from this card.

Take a PC100 and add another PC100 to the other side and you have a DDR operating at 200Mhz.

[/B]

That doesn't sound quite right. SDRAM, it is able to transport double the amount of data by using the rising as well as falling edge of the clock signal for data transfers. It's called "double pumping". In other words, you get two data transfers for each clock cycle. The 266mhz DDR is still running at a 133mhz bus between northbridge and memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom