attaching a probe to athlon 64

Status
Not open for further replies.

jseber1982

Enterprise SCCM\SCOM
Having problems with my temperature readout. I attached a prob right next to the die. when i say right next, i mean, i used a small dab of epoxy and glued it to the side of the die to get it as close as possible. The internal temp monitor says the cpu is runnin at about 95F, but that damn prob says 70F. And when i run the cpu really hard and get it up to 130F, the damn prob says 90F lol. Anybody have any other inovative ways of attaching a prob to an athlon 64? Athlon xps are easy because the die is smaller and you can squeez the prob up onto the cpu next to it. The 64bit makes it harder because the die takes up the entire cpu socket,

thanks

heck, same goes for my graphics card. its temps are like 15 or 20 degrees off. i got a radeon x800. i poped the shim off and trimmed the prob and stuck it right up next to it. same problem. I heard that some people just put the probe on the reverse side of the board, but it wouldnt think that the temp would be anywhere near as hot there as right next to the gpu

Well epoxy isnt a good conductor of heat, you need thermal tape. Also attatch the probes to the heatsink as close to your CPU \ GPU as you can.

yea i probably should use a different method. I was just making sure that the prob isnt gunna fall off. Friggin sux when it falls off, then you gotta remove heatsink n all just to get it back on

yes there always off i had my probe under my x800 fan and it read as 56 celcius when it was 47 celcius i dont kno why there always off

They need to make a probe that is embeded into a shim. Maybe have somebody mill a small chunk of aluminum, about the size of a peltier, and put the probe in that. thatway you will get a direct connection to the core and it wont fall out, and it can be stick between the heatsink and cpu

now im thinkin bout attachin the probe to the heatsink next to the cpu core, that should get more heat than just putting it on the socket next to the core

The die on the 64's arent as big as the socket. Only the metal heatspreader is. Other than that I believe the die is roughly the same size as the older ones in the middle.

lol yeah, my main point is that technically the probe is 'far' away from the die and the thermal sensor on the 64's are built in a believe so that's the temp directly where all the heat is and you simply cant get the kind of probe you're using to read temps like that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom