Still can't install XP, Part 2 (Revisited)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubicks13

Baseband Member
Hello all if anyone has not read my post before, here is a little background. My bud purchased a labtop at one of those "liqidation sales'" a week ago and its a nice labtop, person who sold it was legit and it booted up and all was fine. It currently has w2k pro on it and I am going to put XP Pro on it. Here is the problems. BTW this is an IBM Thinkpad.

The machine only has a cd-rom bay and I tried to install xp pro via the cd-rom drive and no dice. Upon the boot I hit F12 to choose boot seqence and I choose cd-rom and it just goes to the w2k start up screen. My XP cd is a retail version.

So I then decided I would have to access the bios to make it boot by default to the cd-rom, well the bios are password protected. So no dice there also.

So I acutally went to do the install via w2k, I can log on as the username and the pass he was given for a "guest account" I load w2k and everything is fine, when I pop in the xp cd and choose install, it says I have to be an administrator to run this program. So I checked the accounts and I was able to screw around with a member of the admin group, I will use the name "John" as the account. "John" is a member of the admin group and has full control of the computer. I changed the password for "John" and was able to log on as him. However same thing, have to be an admin to run the install.

So I changed the password of the administrator and tried loggin back on as admin and got "local policy does not allow you to log on interactivley". I checked the local policy settings and local log on is enabled. So back to sqaure one.

So my questions are, (1) if I can log onto the machine as a member of the administrator group, why I can't perform the install?
(2) Why can't I log on locally if I set the admin password to my desired choice?
(3) Is there a way to run the install via w2k?

Phew, thanks for any help!

As for BIOS backdoor passwords here is what the BIO utility setup says:
Say bios Setup Utility is locked.

BIOS Version : 1.052 (16ET25WW)

Don't know if that is phoniex, or the other posted. I have heard that IBM thinkpads BIOS password are extremely hard to recover if ever. Any more advice would be appreicated!

CUBE

K i broke down and got a floppy drive. I used the 6 set boot disk to install xp, however after I put in disk 6, and click enter it brings me to the setup page. I then hot swap the cd-rom drive with the cd-rom in it and hit (1) to start setup. I get a message can not find the cd-rom drive. If I remember correctly, after disk 6 finishes, it should prompt me for the xp cd, but since I don't have the cd-rom bay in there is does not any suggestions?
thanks

CUBE

Warez Monster, Ive read a lot of your post and you've been very helpful.You seem to be a step ahead of most people. What is your background and where did you get so much knowledge.

I think I am confussing some people here. The labtop only has one bay, so when I boot from the floppy bay, I ultimately have to take out the floppy bay and put in the cd-rom bay, follow? So If I try and boot up with the floppy and then try to get to the cd-rom, I can't because I have to take out the floppy bay in order to put in the cd-rom bay. Sorry I was not straight up front. That was my whole problem, any suggestions?

Am running win2k pro. Is there a way to enter dos on the thinkpad on the restart? That way I can have the cd-rom bay in and the xp pro cd in the rom and then enter dos on start-up and then nagivate to the I386 directory. Or is that not possible?
thanks

CUBE

It is possible to hook up multiple drives when you have your comp apart. Even if you only have one bay .Ive done it before but not with a laptop. Others here may help you if there is any danger involved. Do you have a friend with a usb cd drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom