HD's not readable anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazn350

Solid State Member
Prior to this problem, my 3 HD's, 2 dvd drives and rest of hardware ok. I've had windows 64 bit laying around so I finally installed it. Couldn't find drivers for some hardware so I installed XP Pro again, powering down 2 HD's so windows wouldn't choose one of them to install on like it did once before. I've done this before and after powering up the drives, entire system ok. This time my 40 gig drive is partitioned C, E ok.

WD 160 gig 7200 listed in Disk Management SCSI
WD 80 gig 7200 " " " " Eide
Plextor dvd listed and functions
Sony dvd listed and functions
HD's are listed as healthy ( active ) and working properly
The only options available for the HD's is "HELP or DELETE" everthing else is greyed out.
When I open "My Computer" only 1 HD is listed and the 2 dvd drives
The Scsi card has the 160 gig and one dvd and the dvd is ok.
I have new rounded cables and have switched cables all good.
I tried the demo of EasyRecovery and it listed all the files on the 2 drives. I could purchase it and retrieve files to burn.

AMD athlon 64 3000+ socket 754
2 gig 400ddram 3200
ATI X800pro
MSI K8T Neo
Xp Pro sp2

How can I get windows to recognize the drives?

try Partion Magic. When i got my 120, windows disk management didnt want to let me chose the partition function. When i downloaded partition magic, it partitioned it and formated it with no problems at all.

same for me and my new 80gb External HDD, Windows would format it but not let be do it as FAT 32, so i installed partition magic.

in case you have not heard.... Windows XP will only allow you to partition in Fat32 upto 32GB. This is by design...
Windows 2000 on the other hand doesn't have this limitation...

I'm not using fat 32 and my entire system was working until I removed windows 64 bit and installed XP pro again. My 2 drives are loaded with files that I don't want to loose.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom