Liquid Cooling Question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about Freon? :D

Probably same principle though in that you need a compressor and pump

Freon is another term for Refridgerante, commonly refered to back when ppl used R-12. currently i think its only legal to buy R-134a.

but thy are all refridgerant. no matter what its called.

i went to a auto tech program, i think im the only one who learned stuff in AC and Automaitc transmition class.

EDIT: everyone can tear down the system and put it together, but you'd be surpised that not many actualy know how it works.

Yeah I remember hearing of the term R-12, I only know that freon from like 5-10 years ago is no longer used because of the environmental hazards concerned

only thing though, when using a refridgerant like that, you have to suck all the air out of your system. Will have to somehow set your system up to a pump to bring rh pressure in your line down below atmospheric pressure, so that when you put the coolant in, the pressure will suck the coolant in, inplace of the air. And also to get that kind of system workin good, you will need an evaporator. heck, just look at a model of how an ac system works. Just using refridgerant liquid, i dont see how it would mak it any cooler since your not gunna be turning it from a liquid to a gas and back to liquid, unless your going the whole 9 yards with it lol, with coolant, you get the "cool" when it changes forms.

i dunno, i just figure i would give my input lol, cause i just upgraded my mustang from r12 to r134.

see, i drained and flushed all the r12.... i then put the r134in it without sucking the air out of the system.... the second i put the refridgerant in, lmao one of the pipes turned to ice and cracked, because the refridgerant cant be exposed to air or it will freeze.

So, if you do do this, i hope it works for ya, and i hope i was helpfull in some way lol

Yah thanks for the info, im starting to thiink that im just going to have to build a custom setup with water, like using 1/2" tubes and a bigger radiator and pump.

jseber1982 said:
only thing though, when using a refridgerant like that, you have to suck all the air out of your system. Will have to somehow set your system up to a pump to bring rh pressure in your line down below atmospheric pressure, so that when you put the coolant in, the pressure will suck the coolant in, inplace of the air. And also to get that kind of system workin good, you will need an evaporator. heck, just look at a model of how an ac system works. Just using refridgerant liquid, i dont see how it would mak it any cooler since your not gunna be turning it from a liquid to a gas and back to liquid, unless your going the whole 9 yards with it lol, with coolant, you get the "cool" when it changes forms.

i dunno, i just figure i would give my input lol, cause i just upgraded my mustang from r12 to r134.

see, i drained and flushed all the r12.... i then put the r134in it without sucking the air out of the system.... the second i put the refridgerant in, lmao one of the pipes turned to ice and cracked, because the refridgerant cant be exposed to air or it will freeze.

So, if you do do this, i hope it works for ya, and i hope i was helpfull in some way lol

jseber1982 - you shouldnt do that unless the AC isnt working properly.

If you do that, everything that u need might be specified in a conversion kit.(iv never done it)

if its not specified for your system
- you should make shur to change the 0-ring seals on all the connections(134a isnt compatable with R-12seals)
- the kit prolly has 134a service valve fittings for u to swap with the r-12 fittings.(the 134a fridgerant machine doesnt work with r-12 fittings)
- (im not shur if its absolutly nessesary, but) u may also need to get a new Acumulator, it looks like a thermis, and it could be on the hot or cold lines(depending on your system). its used to remove any moisture, but once moisture goes into it, it doesnt come out, and some of the old refridgerant may not come out of it either. if u absolutly wont the AC working like new fora long time, id change it.

It wasnt working properly. When i put the new motor in, i somehow busted a pipe and discharged the r12. I could not find anybody that had r12, so i went head and upgraded to 134a. I did use a kit, and it said that all i needed was just the seals. It said that in order to get optimum performance, that i should upgrade the whole system, but oh well lol. It seems to work ok for the time being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom