Ok so i ordered a sata hd and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hi.Im.New

In Runtime
my other hd is IDE. I dont believe i can hook this hd up to my mb is there like a connector kit i can use for my sata hd to mb?
I have a asus NFORCE2 A7N8X DELUXE mb. Im new to sata and have no clue,finals all week long, ty would be a huge help.

Your SATA hard drive SHOULD come with a SATA ribbon cable, one something like this: http://tinyurl.com/5gsvj If not, you need to get one. There is also a special power cord for it as well. http://tinyurl.com/5fgr4 Some power supplies have one already on there, some don't.

Other than that, it's more a matter of telling the motherboard that you want to you the SATA than anything. Are you going to put your o/s on the SATA or use it as back up? How big is it? Do you have a floppy drive? Did you get the drivers for the SATA? Liz

the sata is gonna be used as the master and the old 80gb hd is gonna be the slave...ive been having errors that make my comp restart with the minidump so i needed more room and i got this 200gb sata...so im gonna put the OS on the sata...so there should be inputs for both those cables im gonna order?

Well, when finals are over, and you have all the parts in and have time to deal with this, then we can sit down and make sure you understand how to do this cause it is going to take step by step instructions for a first time install, esp if you do not have internet access while doing it. Do you have a second computer handy to ask questions while working on this one? Liz

ok ill be done friday... i just ordered a great laptop acre wmi 4500 trvlm8 2mb of l2 cache,runs solid and i just bought the buffalo router with 4nics/wireless and here product #WRB-G54K so yea ill be able to talk to u while doin it. Thanks for the help appreciate it.

Your SATA drive will support conventional Molex power source and your MB has native support.

Here is an issue you may have, the original XP only has native support for up to 137gb drives. You have to apply services packs to support the larger drive. If you are installing and old copy of XP, you have a few choices, find and download a SATA driver from Asus if it exists (good luck finding it - the asus web site is horrible), use the utility that comes with the drive to clone your current installation, install on a small partition and use a tool like partition magic to expand your partitionafter you apply your service packs, or you'll need to partition the disk - not the best choice IMHO.

gsbtech, we first have to walk him thru the initial installation of the hard drive...and you're right about this. I suspect Partition magic may be the way to go, depending on WHICH hard drive he ordered. IF he got a Maxtor, life will be much easier cause he can use MaxBlaster to partition as well. Liz

I encountered a similar situation: Asus MB and Maxtor SATA drive. I formatted the drive with Maxtor, installed XP pro, and rebooted to the blue screen of death. I then used the Partition Magic approach. As I understand it, If you are installing XP SP1, there shouldn't be any issues.

I've used the Maxtor utilities (free for download) on drives from other manufacturers. It works well for copying your current installation to a new drive.

If your MOBO doesn't have SATA interfaces on it then you can buy a SATA PCI CARD. Normally these cards will allow you to connect up to 4 SATA drives. SATA also has a completely different cable to connect it also. IF your DRIVE was OEM it probably didn't come with it. If it was retail then it did. Also the power connecter is different. I do believe you can use a standard molex connecter though.

If you don't have SATA interfaces on your MOBO. By the PCI card. Search for them on newegg.com they are cheap. Then install the card and the HDD. DON"T HOOK UP THE HD AT ALL!!! Just install it in the case, Restart the PC and install the PCI card drivers. Then shut down and hook up the HDD. Restart and windows will find the HDD.

There are other things if you need more info.

yes i do have sata interfaces and i ordered the power and data cable for it.... its hooked up in my computer now... but my bios doesnt recognize it... i am keeping in my current ide hd , but im using that as a secondary and the new sata as the primary...im pretty stuck at this point though help is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom