Anyone want to learn how to slipstream SP2 into XP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Slipstreaming?
When Microsoft was developing Windows 2000, they decided to create up a more easier way of integrating service packs and other fixes back into the core OS, so that enterprises could always maintain an install of the latest version of Windows, ready to be installed at any time on new machines. Slipstreaming or "integrated installation" basically is combining the core OS with the lastest Service Packs and patches so they can all be installed in one step.

Why do it?
Simply because Windows XP SP2 is a huge change from the original version of Windows XP, offering as many new features and capabilities as a major new Windows version. For this reason, many people are going to want to install XP SP2 directly the next time they install/reinstall Windows, and skip the time-consuming and insecure step of installing the initial XP version first, and then applying SP2.

What do I need?

+ A 650MB (or larger) CD-R/RW
+ A CD Burner
+ Any bootable, retail version, including Full and Upgrade versions of XP Home or Professional
+ A copy of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (either the Windows SP2 Network Installation fromhere )
+ ISOBuster or Nero
+ Any CD burning program that supports CD images (I used Nero 6 for this guide, which you can get for a 30-day-trial from here)

Step 1: Organise XP and SP2
Load your Windows XP CD-ROM and copy the contents of the CD to your hard drive. Create a folder in the root of your C: drive called xp (C:\xp) and use My Computer to simply drag and drop the files between into it.

Now that this is copying, the next step depends on with version of XP SP2 you have. The downloaded version of this file is named WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe, while the CD version is called xpsp2.exe. Both are identical, except in name. As so I don't confuse anyone I will refer to the simpler xpsp2.exe below, but you can also rename WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe to xpsp2.exe if you'd like. Now, create a new folder called sp2 on the C drive (C:\sp2) and then copy this file to that location.

Now, start ISOBuster and choose to use only the product's free functionality, unless you decide to purchase it. On the left-side tree view, make sure you have selected the node named Bootable CD. You should see a file called Microsoft Corporation.img (or similar; it will be named something.img) in the right side of ISOBuster. This is the file you need to extract. To do so, right-click and choose Extract Microsoft Corporation.img. When ISOBuster prompts you, choose to download it to the root of your C: drive. Now you can close ISOBuster.

Step 2: Slipstream XP with SP2
Now, you need to bring up a command line window by navigating to Start, and then Run, and typing "cmd" (no quotes); then hit ENTER. In the command line window, type the following (where [ENTER] means pressing the ENTER key):

cd \ [ENTER]
cd sp2 [ENTER]
xpsp2.exe /integrate:c:\xp [ENTER]

First, an Extract dialog box will come up and extract the files contained within xpsp2.exe. Then, XP SP2 Setup will combine, or slipstream, the SP2 files into the XP install. When it's completed, you'll see this dialog box. Click OK, and then close the command line window. If you don't see this dialog, you've done something wrong. Make sure that the command line entries you've used are correct.

Step 3: Make a bootable XP SP2 CD
Start My Computer and make a note of the name of your Windows XP CD (mine was WXPOEM_EN). Then, eject the XP CD and place the blank CD in your CD burner, and dismiss any autorun dialog boxes XP might display.

Start Nero Burning ROM and choose CD-ROM (Boot) from the New Compilation's Boot page. Then, under "Source of boot image data," choose "Image file" and select C:\Microsoft Corporation.img by clicking the Browse button. Then, select the option titled "Enable expert settings (for advanced users only)" and change "Kind of emulation" to No Emulation, and change "Number of loaded sectors" to 4. The "Load segment of sectors" option should remain at its default value of 07C0.

Now, select the Label page in Nero Burning ROM. Select "Automatic" and enter the name of your CD (WXPOEM_EN in my case). Now, click the New button. The New Compilation dialog disappears and the main window of Nero Burning ROM is available.

On the right side of the application, in the File Browser area, navigate to C:\xp. Then, select all of the files inside of that directory and copy them over to the new CD.

Now you're ready to burn the CD. Click the Burn icon in the toolbar, or choose Recorder and then Burn Compilation, and then click the Burn button. Nero will cache the files and then write them to disc.

Step 4: Done!!!
Once the CD is created, you should test it (optional). Use the CD to install Windows XP with SP2 to make sure it's working correctly. Most importantly ensure that the version of XP you've installed is SP2. To do so, go to Start, then Run, and type "winver" (no quotes) and hit ENTER. The SP2 version number is 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158: Service Pack 2).

When you're done testing, you should consider backing up the newly created CD (optional), and deleting the rubbish you've added to your hard drive, specifically C:\Microsoft Corporation.img, and the directories C:\xp and C:\sp2.

is there any way to make a bootable cd with windows on it.

Yes, there is, if you already have a copy of windows. That is what Warez Monster is explaining....how to make a bootable copy of windows xp home/pro with sp2. Liz

Heres a good one. There is probably a way to do this, it's just finding out how to do it, but has anyone ever heard of integrating the serial number into the slipstream so you will not be prompted to enter it? Like some trial versions of 2003 server are like this. Also, is there a way to set it up for automatic unattended installation?

waynejkruse10 said:
isnt that just a way to create a new installation cd with sp2, not a bootable os like knoppix.
if im right... its still the windows cd u use to install but now it just installs the sp2 when u install windows.

and warez... if ur talking bout the cdkey then definitly ud just have to find the file that holds ur cdkey and prolly repeat a few steps in ur instructions. if u mean the activation id doubt it.. why? because i read an article explaining that the serail # to activate windows is not set into a disk. it is gained from your computer's hardware... there are #s on them as u know. they take a certain digit of each to make the activation key according to what i read. (correct me if im wrong but i believe that is waht the article said) that is why when u install windows it knows if u have activated or not kus it sends the serial # to microsoft so if it is registered more than (1? 3?) times it is asked to "activate"

odd thing is microsoft can give u a new serial # so i dont really think there is much of a truth to what i read.. i only posted it wondering if it was true =)

XP Pro Corporate edition you can use the serial number as many times as you want. Other version or home and pro need the activation and can only be used 3 times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom