Dual Xeons, anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would try and put 4 Athlon FX-55's in it if i could and load the shiznat w/ ram man! then i would try and make it my gaming machine if possible. Oh and what kind of video can you put on PCI-X? I wonder cause ive never heard of that lol but i just saw 4 opteron cpus on the same board w/ 32gig of loadable ram. Oh and that ram is allocated to each cpu so like thast 32 divided by 4 and also shared w/ the video. but still thast insaen and i wih i had it!!!!:eek: druell druell:drool:

I would try and put 4 Athlon FX-55's in it if i could and load the shiznat w/ ram man! then i would try and make it my gaming machine if possible. Oh and what kind of video can you put on PCI-X? I wonder cause ive never heard of that lol but i just saw 4 opteron cpus on the same board w/ 32gig of loadable ram. Oh and that ram is allocated to each cpu so like thast 32 divided by 4 and also shared w/ the video. but still thast insaen and i wih i had it!!!!
That's just one big dream dude.

You can't put FX's in there, there's no way to 'try' and put FX's in there, it's server applications, FX's aren't for servers.

It would be impossible to make it a gaming machine, you have to have an OS that supports 2 CPU's muchless 4 of them, so you're talking purely a Server OS, beyond that, the game itself would have to be able to utilize them.

You can't put any worth while vid card in PCI-X and infact I don't know if they even make a PCI-X vid card.

You will not have a problem finding an OS that supports 4 CPU's(windows XP pro/win2000) . Its just you will have a problem finding a program that supports SMP. (Symetrical Multi Processor) If the program does not support SMP then it will only put a 25% load on each cpu. If you have a SMP program it will put the maximum load on each. Or you can set the affinity to each cpu and have 1 cpu dedicated to the windows backround services and have the rest for other things.

Just for FYI Adobe Premiere Pro 1.5 supports SMP and your rendering times should be super quick.

Are you sure WinXP PRO utilizes 4 CPU's?

Not doubting, just seriously asking.

I would think WinXP Server or Win2003 would have no problem

it does not put a more then 25% load on each. But it does support quad cpu's.
You need a SMP program to to put a 100% load on each.

I looked at the affinity assignments and it has checkmarks for up to 32 CPU's.

Crazy, but yeah 25% on each is worthless, it's no better than having 1 to some extent and completely wasting the ability of all 4

SMP program is what I meant by completely utilizing them

25% max for each CPU is great, the temps should be low and it would run more efficent. But like you said having 4 cpus is NO better than 1. But in certain programs having 4 cpus is better than 1.
Having a multi cpu machine is really only for the professional base consumer. the consumers that do "complex" things, for example : CAD, CAM, servers, and heavy video/audio editing.

could u imagine the size of the motherboard if u had 4 cpus on it each with a xp120 on it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom