Reformatting hd w/o OS

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think i got it- i put the XP cd in there and deleted the partition so now its all unpartioned space- im pretty sure that cleared it all- am i right?? (it doesnt boot now of course)

Or you can just throw it in your other computer as a slave. Then goto command and type format ___ whatever it shows..

Even though you format the raw data is still on the drive.
The data is still on the drive until you overwrite it with otherdata.

I would download a program called killdisk, it performs a low level format what it does is writes zeros on the whole drive. So no data can be recovered.

hmm thats probably a good idea- where can i get it from?

which way is better? killdisk or slaving it to my current computer and formatting it? also, what exactly do i type in the command prompt to format it??

http://www.killdisk.com/
Download the free version. (MOST SECURE WAY)

Or if you just want to do a regular format (LEAST SECURE) just go into DOS if it is the master drive an type format C:
If it is the slave than just goto START>RUN> CMD > FORMAT D:

or whatever drive assignment the drive is on.

ok- since i've already taken most of the hardware out of the computer, please tell me this-- i cleared the partition so now the entire hd is unpartioned space- did that clear it? i had totally no private info on there, so one thing doesnt matter at all, but did it mostly clear it??

Nope. The data is still there. Just write a small program and write 0s to the disk. Do it like 7 times.

I don't know why "seven" is the magic #. I think it has something to do with the CIA. Don't have the faintest clue why u need to do it that many times :|. Should read up more on HD technologies.. Supposedly, a very capable person can recover the data if you just write once (and so on) :s..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom